• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any suggestions?

jimmyc751

NAXJA Forum User
have to replace u-joints in my axle. got the calipers and rotor off star bolts loosened up easily, but the hub will not budge used a *hit load of pb and it still won't budge, I tried to tap it to loosen the crap up but it still won't come out. By the way it's an 87 all stock.

Yeah the hub mount bolts. Torx not star, I'm kind of old school. Sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone. No I didn't pull the axle nut off yet. Was hoping that I didn't have to.

should be 3 12point 13mm bolts. Loosen bolts out a couple threads and use a garbage socket(you're going to beat the $hit out of it, I mushroomed my socket to the point it'll never fit on a ratchet again) I did read something about using a deep socket on bolt and aginst inner "c"and turning the steering wheel using power steering pressure to pop out unit bearing.
Post up if the second method is correct or can elaborate more.

Mine, also 87' still had virgin clips from factory took 2 days to complete u-joints. Damn kid at "Big-HO" smashed yoke ears on stub shaft(30 ton press), had to run a week without intermediate shaft and bent stub to hold bearings together. tap'em with a hammer you'll be fine

Last edited:
Harlee&Tahoe said:
I did read something about using a deep socket on bolt and aginst inner "c"and turning the steering wheel using power steering pressure to pop out unit bearing.

Do a search for 'bearing removal' or some such. Harlee is correct. There is that method, there are also a few other ideas on the board. One I like is to mount a tire on a steel rim 'backwards' on the studs, then you can either wiggle it by hand from the front or hit it from the rear with a dead blow hammer -- makes a nice giant lever.

On my 87 I pulled the bolts out then used an old screw driver to go between unit bearing & spindle. Drive it in carefully to make a space on all 3 tabs, then drive a cold chisel between each working a little at a time so you don't XXXX it to one side or the other. Should be able to pry it off evenly at that point with pry bars, or tap the flange with the studs outward toward you. You may chew the dust shield for the brakes a little doing it this way but it gets sandwiched between the unit bearing & spindle & should not be a problem when reassembling. Before putting it back together clean ridge of unit bearing & bore of spindle with emery cloth or sandpaper & coat it with never sieze so it will come apart easier next time. I have changed the u joint with out removing the hub nut, but if you need to pull the hub nut off do it before raising the wheel of the ground. Spray the rear of spindle where the unit bearing is seated into with PB Blaster or simular before starting to pull it apart it should help.
This way is a little crude but I have done it this way on my 87 & 90 XJ & my sons 94 YJ with no repercussions.

Back