• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel leak

simply curiosity or do you have a leak? 97 - 01 common gas leaks are from the O ring on the top of the gas tank and near the fuel line and fuel rail connections under the hood. On some newer XJ's the fuel rail has a round dampener fitting in the between injector 3 and 4 and fuel can seep out from there also.

On both a 92 and a 96, the connecting rubber hose between the fuel filter and the metal fuel line just gave up with age.....had to change them both.

Hope you find your leak!

Well I think air is seeping down the line from the engine... I havne't noticed an actual fuel leak yet, but am thinking that there may be a small enough gap that air may seep back into the line when sitting for a while

Throttle said:
Well I think air is seeping down the line from the engine... I havne't noticed an actual fuel leak yet, but am thinking that there may be a small enough gap that air may seep back into the line when sitting for a while

Do you mean you have long cranking times and a rough idle for the first 1/2 block down the road? That would be a failed fuel line pressure check valve located on the fuel pump in the gas tank. Turn the key to ON so the fuel pump runs, turn the key to OFF, now turn the key all the way to start. It should start in 3 - 8 seconds. My 2000 has done this for the last 2 years. My 1997 fires up instantly.

Tim_MN said:
Do you mean you have long cranking times and a rough idle for the first 1/2 block down the road? That would be a failed fuel line pressure check valve located on the fuel pump in the gas tank. Turn the key to ON so the fuel pump runs, turn the key to OFF, now turn the key all the way to start. It should start in 3 - 8 seconds. My 2000 has done this for the last 2 years. My 1997 fires up instantly.

Yeah thats what I thought, so I replaced the fuel pump... SOLELY the fuel pump. I'm assuming the check valve is a seperate part from the fuel pump?? I call my local parts store and they don't list a check valve for it. Unless someone has a part number for the check valve itself, I was thinking about going with the BMW check valve solution.

Has anyone got a sending unit out of a vehicle they can quickly take a picture of where I might find the check valve for a 98? Do you guys recomend the BMW check valve mod? I'm damn sure that its air getting back to the fuel pump, because when I turn the key to ACC to prime the system the pump sounds pretty bad, then the second time I do it it quiets down, then 3rd its back to normal sounding.

Back