• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to add coolant after flush?

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a lot of projects to do this weekend, but realized I was in a bad spot with my coolant. The reservior was really dirty and low, so I knew I had to take care of it.

I drained the radiator plug, had a funnel in place to catch the crap, but that didn't work well. Made a mess, every where.. Oh well

Also cleaned out and drained the reservior.... I am skipping draining the block, big deal?

Also, where do I add the coolant? My Haynes book says only to the Reservior on my model ('96 4.0L) It seems I should add to the radiator!

you should drain the block too...i believe there's a drain plug in the back of the block, drivers side.....?

Put 50/50 coolant/distilled water in the radiator and 100% coolant in the resevoir. Dont know about a drain plug in the block, I usually just pull the lower radiator hose and drain everything all at once. Draincocks on the radiator usually break and the if your hose breaks you've been neglecting you pile-o-crap for too long!!!:bunny:

I would hit the parts store and pick up a bottle of prestone 7 hour flush and a back flush kit, 2 gallons of distilled water and 2 gallons of 100% anti-freeze [the green prestone ot texaco] a new thermostat and gasket and a new pressure cap. Personally I would do the hoses too but thats just me.
Drain the system, refill with water, add the 7 hour flush and drive it all weekend provided it is not going below freezing.
Drain the system again, install the T fitting in the heater hose and back flush the system to get all the crud out and the cleaner. Just use hose water, replace the hoses, replace the Tstat.
Dump a gallon of 100% antifreeze in then start the engine, add a gallon of distilled water, that gives you the first 50/50 mix, dump half of the second gallon of pure antifreeze into the now empty antifreeze bottle and pour half the distilled water in each antifreeze container, that gives you two 50/50 mix bottles of coolant.
Remove the overflow bottle and use an old sock, some 409 or fantastic and a stick to clean the overflow out so it is nice and clean.
With the engine running start topping off the system thru the radiator filler till it gets to the top of the neck, it will look like fizzy soda, thats the air bubbles, let it run till the fizzies are gone. Rev the engine a bit so it sucks coolant, quickly top it off and quickly put the cap back on. Fill the overflow with a 50/50 mix to the hot mark and go from there, any air left will slowly come out thru the overflow and coolant will be pulled in.

Back