• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug Nuts

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, maybe a dumbass question...but...

Where does everyone get their lug nuts? Dealership wants like eleventy billion dollars for 20....and I'm just looking for some quality ones that wont strip and dont have the fake ass chrome paint on them that chips off after they've been put on...I know AZ, NAPA and all the others sell them - just looking for the best quality.

Thanks!

I usually buy my 1/2-20's from the local parts stores in the kit and then buy another set as I don't use the locks. One of the real local no name commercial parts stores used to carry them loose in a big box, reach in and grab what ya needed but they stopped doing that. If you find a private owned NAPA you might find that as that was common a few years back.
What I have not found is chrome ones of the same socket size as stock.

I had to go up to 13/16" to find good quality lug nuts. Not a big deal, they still fit the wheels fine, you just need to buy a lug wrench that fits them. I think most parts stores carry that size.

Ray H said:
I had to go up to 13/16" to find good quality lug nuts. Not a big deal, they still fit the wheels fine, you just need to buy a lug wrench that fits them. I think most parts stores carry that size.

I just went out and bought 3 of those 4 cornered lug wrenches and each jeep has a 1/2" $30 torque wrench, extension and socket under the rear seat. Gotta go buy #4 setup for the ZJ today now that I'm reminded of it.

I go to the junkyard. It helps to be a good steady customer, I guess. At the one I go to they just throw the nuts on the ground when they take off a wheel, and they don't mind if I pick up a few from time to time.

Same here. Just get them at the junkyard. If you buy anything else they usually throw them in.

Awesome, thats more like what i was looking for! thanks!

lug nuts are not the problem for me (junkyard), but its the studs they go on, i accidently striped them (cross threaded them with an air compressor) and now i cannot put 2 of them on. where can i pick up the studs cheap? and are they hard to replace? thanks

Serveck said:
lug nuts are not the problem for me (junkyard), but its the studs they go on, i accidently striped them (cross threaded them with an air compressor) and now i cannot put 2 of them on. where can i pick up the studs cheap? and are they hard to replace? thanks
I doubt they're expensive. Try an auto parts store. They're pretty easy to replace. Big hammer, punch out. pull back in and reseat it by screwing the lug nut down tight. Rears might require removal of brake parts for clearance.

Ant local tire store will have new lug nuts for you, at the store i work at we charge $.50 per lug nut $10 for a whole set. check your local tire store, you'll be surprised.

I got 40 American racing chrome exact size as stock off ebay delivered for $25. I love them, no more busted cheap As$ lug nut skin when doing swaps. Look good too.

yea the xj lugs suck with the caps around them. 19mm/ 3/4" then when the cap comes off its an 18mm. if you use the 19 its a pain to get the lug nuts out of the socket when they spin in the socket. i hate em.

Back