• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Axle Differences (spare question)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine picked up 2 sets of spare front axles for me at a pull apart thinking they were a good price and that I may need them someday. They were complete with the unit hub and all. The other day I needed to change a hub, so I was just going to pop in a whole axle assembly. I got mine out and discovered they were very different.

Mine is a 93 country with HP D30 non disconnect. All the spares had smaller diameter axles (although they all end up with the same 27 splines) much smaller ujoint ears, and early model hubs.

I can't use the early hubs on my axles, so I got new hubs because my axles look much beefier... but, could I use the whole assembly as a spare still? It looks like it would move the WMS inward about a half inch because of the hub design, but it should all work as an assembly right?

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

this what you're looking for?

While there are differences in tha axles themselves,they are interchangable.You "MUST" use the unit bearing that fits "your" axle housing/knuckle combe(there are 3 different unit bearings).

I have a question also, my friend swapped his d30 from his 89 that he junked to his 01 to get the high pinion. Since the swap he's had nasty vibes and it almost looks like the spring perches are at a different angle, the springs look bowed. Just about every part of the swap bit him in the ass. What other differences are there from an 88 d30 to a 01? His has the rustys long arm setup and no amount of arm adjusting has helped. Again, not my project just thought id ask

Back