• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Gosh-Darned Police

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So here's my tale of potential woe:

I'm driving the XJ home from work yesterday along 35th ave SE, doing the speed limit and otherwise being a model citizen, when I notice a black and white parked in a driveway on the left facing the street. As I pass by him, I notice it's a Snohomo County Sheriff, notorious for messing with law-abiding citizens. I'm thinking to myself, okay, no sweat, middle of the afternoon, doing the speed limit, no problem.

He pulls out behind me as I pass. He follows me to the stoplight at 132nd, and pulls half a lane to my left right behind me at the light. I'm waiting for the green light, anticipating where I'll be pulling over once I'm through the intersection. Sure enough, about fifty feet through the now green light, his light bar flashes on. I pull off on Silver Crest Drive, pull to the shoulder and shut 'er down. He walks up to my open driver's window, "License, registration, and proof of insurance." "Okay, sure. Hang on a sec." I pull out my license, sift through the glove box for the registration, am digging through my wallet for the insurance card, and ask: "Was there a problem with the way I was driving, officer" "We'll get to that in a minute."

I hand him the documents, and he proceeds to tell me what the problem is: "The last digit of your license plate is obscured by your tire carrier. I had to pull over to the left to verify what it was. You also have too much tire exposed on the sides of your vehicle and you have no mud flaps." "May I get out and take a look at what you're seeing?" "Okay".

So I get out and walk behind the XJ, I had moved the license plate to the driver's side lower corner of the hatch so it would be visible with the tire carrier on. Apparently, he "couldn't see" the last digit, which is an "F". The very bottom R/H edge of the plate is slightly covered, but because it's an "F", it doesn't cover any of the actual letter. "Yeah, I had to move the plate when I mounted the carrier, but you can still see the actual letter. I can move it over another 3/4 inch or so to rectify that." "You'll need mud flaps to the centerline of the axle and fender flares to cover the edges of those tires too." "Okay, I wasn't 100% sure of that law. I believe I can get a set of flares off of a Jeep Wrangler to take care of that and make some mud flaps up too." "Yeah, you do that. This is my route, I'm here every day, so I'll expect to see these issues addressed the next time I see you." He did let me off with a warning, which was the right thing to do.

So I get home, call Olympic 4x4, they have several TJ's with rear flares still on them in the yard. I go down and pick out 4 of the cleanest undamaged ones and help the yard mechanic remove them, take them in and pay for them. $35 each, PNW discount knocks it down to $130 out the door for all four. Head straight home and spend the rest of the evening cutting them up with a jig-saw and getting them on the XJ. I got the fronts done, and the rear half of the rears. You have to cut them in half and mount the front section to the rear doors, not enough meat on trimmed wheelwells to make it work on the little lip left there.

So tonight I'm gonna finish the rear flares, take them all back off and paint them flat black, reinstall them with silicone in the screw holes, and dig out the pair of universal mud flaps I picked up awhile back and figure out a way to fit them up that's easily removable for the trail. I'll slot the license plate holes and slide it over as well, that'll take care of Officer Friendly's to-do list, which leaves me minimal time for Wheeler Doug's list, which includes fabbing and mounting a skid-plate to protect the T-case, re-checking/re-tightening all of my suspension bolts, changing out both diff fluids now that they're broken-in, and giving the rest of the rig a once-over before my previously planned Saturday shakedown run to Reiter.

As it stands, I'll likely push the shakedown run back a week to next Saturday and spend this weekend squaring away the rest of my business on the rig.

The thing that kills me about this is that there are numerous rigs on the road with mud flap issues. Pretty much every fullsize pickup I see legally needs mud flaps and usually fender flares, but I doubt they get pulled over and called on it.

The burdens we bear in pursuit of our hobby.....

yeah. i had the tire issue in redmond this summer. the cop was goin the opposite way on a two lane street and when we passed each other we made eye contact and i was like o crap this isnt gonna turn out good. and sure enough at the next stop sign i looked up and saw some blue and red lights behind me.

told me to get fender flares to cover my tires or else id get a ticket

Well, the good news is that a bunch of us will be at Rieter next saturday, I believe we are meeting at the main lot at 9.

Hopefully you can keep the tj flares on longer than I tend to.
-Ryan

fubar XJ said:
The thing that kills me about this is that there are numerous rigs on the road with mud flap issues. Pretty much every fullsize pickup I see legally needs mud flaps and usually fender flares, but I doubt they get pulled over and called on it.

The burdens we bear in pursuit of our hobby.....

Sucks don't it? I see lots of full size trucks with the latest blingtanium rims and big lifts with tires sticking out. Seems like they would be an easy target. I've never seen one get pulled over when they pass cops.

By the way, I have been pulled over for the same stuff. It was a Pierce county guy though.

-Jeremy

Blkxjkrawler said:
Well, the good news is that a bunch of us will be at Rieter next saturday, I believe we are meeting at the main lot at 9.

-Ryan

If my rig isn't done, can I hold down your passenger seat?

-Jeremy

Blkxjkrawler said:

-Ryan

Okay, I'll shoot for that. Have to check the calendar and all, but it sounds good.

The problem seems to be more where you were driving. There's been nothing but bad things said about the cops in Redmond. The problem I figure, is you're obviously second class in the neighborhood. Had you been driving a BMW, Porsche, or Lexus your mommy or daddy bought you (either directly or indirectly through overpriced college), you'd have blended right in. :)

Its got to be the area,i live in Federal Way, and drive my xj daily to work and back(also in Federal Way). I drive past, next to, in front of ,and behind cops all the time, thay have never bothered me or even give me a second look.
Oh and i have no flares, or mud flaps, with 33's on 5.5".

Sean

What a complete crock. One of the most annoying things about growing up in England was the tendency for the constabularly to get carried away with applying the law in rather nitpicking ways. I actually once got a warning for having low windshield washer fluid. To see that kind of thing happening in Snohomish county is pretty disturbing. The rule to use mudflaps that descend to the midline of the axle is clearly intended for large trucks and I think smaller vehicles need to be exempted. No fender flares are a little harder to defend. Mine are stock and my wheels stick out a little bit.... Not sure what the answer is there.
It would be fun to write letters to the Snohomish papers wondering how local law enforcement has the time to behave like French Gendarmes when there is a meth epidemic going on. Of course you would have to drive his territory and you probably do not want to upset him too much. :)

What I find amusing is that my new Dodge Ram didn’t come with mud flaps from the factory, even though legally it should have. If I get pulled over can I charge Dodge for the ticket?

Required – All vehicles, trailers, and semi-trailers must be equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water and mud to the rear if the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted, and extend down to at least the center of the axle.

This was on the WA State Patrol website. I guess if there is any tread showing from above or from the back above the center of the axle it's illegal.
Soooo I need front flares and mud flaps in back at least down to the center of the axle.
Ughh. Sonics lost again.

88xjlover said:
Required – All vehicles, trailers, and semi-trailers must be equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water and mud to the rear if the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted, and extend down to at least the center of the axle.

This was on the WA State Patrol website. I guess if there is any tread showing from above or from the back above the center of the axle it's illegal.
Soooo I need front flares and mud flaps in back at least down to the center of the axle.
Ughh. Sonics lost again.

Yep, all true. The annoying part is the arbitrary enforcement. I like how the cop told me this is "his patrol area", and "he doesn't want to see me driving around without those issues addressed soon". Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, as it motivated me to take care of the issues post-haste.

Oh, and the Sonics are still playing?

mud1059 said:
The problem seems to be more where you were driving. There's been nothing but bad things said about the cops in Redmond. The problem I figure, is you're obviously second class in the neighborhood. Had you been driving a BMW, Porsche, or Lexus your mommy or daddy bought you (either directly or indirectly through overpriced college), you'd have blended right in. :)

hmm i really wish my parents would have bought me one of those. but no i had to buy my own car so your right i really dont fit in:farmer:

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, we have all had these issues. They will continue as well because there are SO many rules that most of the officers enforcing them can only remember so many and usually let the others slide. In fact I had the oportunity to talk with several officers of the same area all independantly from one another and asked about several "RCW's" and only about 1/4 of them actually understood there was a rule (different officers understood different rules but averaged out to about 1/4 understood each of the rules). I was shocked at the time, but it makes sense to me now.

I think it comes down to statistics and we just have to do the best we can. The mudflaps rule is a very valid one, we all get rock chips and hate it when they take out our window!! How about driving down the freeway behind a truck with no mudflaps and the water coming off the rear tires!!

Needless to say, you are lucky you didn't get more than a warning!! And you are best fixing what ever you can reasonably fix. Now if we could all just learn from your experience and get our act together and fix our own issues ;) I think I need mudflaps on two vehicles, a front plate on two vehicles, flares on another, tinted covers off two more, tinted glass on another, ..................... :shhh:

Michael

2xtreme said:
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, we have all had these issues. They will continue as well because there are SO many rules that most of the officers enforcing them can only remember so many and usually let the others slide. In fact I had the oportunity to talk with several officers of the same area all independantly from one another and asked about several "RCW's" and only about 1/4 of them actually understood there was a rule (different officers understood different rules but averaged out to about 1/4 understood each of the rules). I was shocked at the time, but it makes sense to me now.

I think it comes down to statistics and we just have to do the best we can. The mudflaps rule is a very valid one, we all get rock chips and hate it when they take out our window!! How about driving down the freeway behind a truck with no mudflaps and the water coming off the rear tires!!

Needless to say, you are lucky you didn't get more than a warning!! And you are best fixing what ever you can reasonably fix. Now if we could all just learn from your experience and get our act together and fix our own issues ;) I think I need mudflaps on two vehicles, a front plate on two vehicles, flares on another, tinted covers off two more, tinted glass on another, ..................... :shhh:

Michael

True. I knew he was in the right, and didn't argue with him. Instead, I immediately addressed the issues, and two days later I had a very nice set of flares and flaps. It seems he recognized this from my lack or argument and attitude, and decided that a warning was appropriate. Had I gotten all defensive, I imagine I'd be sending in the money that the ticket would have been written for, and it would have been my fault for both not complying with the law and arguing it when I was in the wrong.

This has actually been helpful several times over the years when dealing with traffic stops. Admit you were wrong, apologize, and if he doesn't offer it, politely ask (beg) for a warning prior to him going back to his cruiser to write the ticket.

I'm willing to swallow my pride a bit to avoid the fines and increased insurance rates that a ticket brings.

fubar XJ said:
I'm willing to swallow my pride a bit to avoid the fines and increased insurance rates that a ticket brings.

Depends on what it's for. Equipment violations aren't the tickets that show up on insurance. ;)

Glad you got the issues taken care of. I had a couple a while back (flaps being one of them) that I honestly didn't know about. I had the misinformation about flaps as my source was outdated. Ah well, they allowed my fine to be cut in half along with my license plate violation (had only had it off for a couple days while I was working on a bumper mount issue). No big deal and I've not worried about that stuff since then.

ECKSJAY said:
Depends on what it's for. Equipment violations aren't the tickets that show up on insurance. ;)

Glad you got the issues taken care of. I had a couple a while back (flaps being one of them) that I honestly didn't know about. I had the misinformation about flaps as my source was outdated. Ah well, they allowed my fine to be cut in half along with my license plate violation (had only had it off for a couple days while I was working on a bumper mount issue). No big deal and I've not worried about that stuff since then.

Yeah, I'm thinking moving violations. My bad.

But I still don't want to pay a ticket for anything, equipment deficiencies included.

Back