• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are the "power outlet" & "lighter" the same

benny429

NAXJA Forum User
My search came up empty.

I have a 2001 XJ.

I notice the lighter turns off and off with the ignition. This would be a good place to plug in my GPS.

Is it OK to use the lighter as a "power outlet"? (I have things to plug into both.)

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's OK. That's how it was done before manufacturers started putting 12V power outlets in as accesories. However, don't try to use the "power outlet" for the cigarette lighter, as it is not designed for the heat it creates.

ya, like prb24 said...you'll be fine.

besides one being able to withstand the heat...the only difference between the 2 is that one is key powered (cig lighter) and one is always hot (power plug)...

Definately use the Switched one . I use a touchstone charger next to my shifter for my palm pre. and the first touchstone got worn out or fried because of the constant power.. Now that its on the switched one its lasted 3 times longer and still working.. makes using my phone gps ALOT more convenient

Definately use the Switched one . I use a touchstone charger next to my shifter for my palm pre. and the first touchstone got worn out or fried because of the constant power.. Now that its on the switched one its lasted 3 times longer and still working.. makes using my phone gps ALOT more convenient

Three year old thread.

Its true, why did you bring this back up?

Interesting though.

Back