• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE vs. BDS...help me decide please!

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first off, let me say that I have done a lot of searches for both of these lifts, but still have some questions to ask, AND my situation is a little bit different. This is in reference to my 99 XJ Sport with 4.0, 5 spd, NP231, Dana 30 frt, and 8.25 rear.

I am having trouble deciding if I should go with RE's 4.5 inch lift with full spring packs (RE6130) or, if I should go with BDS' 3 inch lift with full spring packs.

Now I know RE's kit comes with all new compnents but here's why I am having trouble deciding between the 2 lifts. Both are going to be sufficient for my needs/wants. Running a 31 inch tire is just as fine with me as running a 32 inch. Now, I know with RE, you get more components for the money, that I realize. But here's the thing......

I looked up the BDS 3 inch lift and adding ALL of the components (UCA's, LCA's Adj. Trac bar, etc etc) that would make it equal to the RE lift made them both come out to right around the same cost, within $100.

When I am comparing the prices of the lifts, I am taking into account EVERYTHING...for example, with the 4.5 inch, I know I will need the SYE kit and CV drive shaft so I included that in the price.

Anyways, I like both kits and what I have heard on here about both kits. What I really like is BDS' warranty. I just don't know which of the 2 are better, or if they're about the same.

So, knowing my situation, and knowing that I don't do much wheeling, but once in a while, and knowing I would be happy with either of the 2 actual lift heights, which is the better lift?? I guess my ultimate question is...... Is the BDS lift worth the extra cost it takes to make it have the same components as the RE kit, or, is having the extra 1.5 inches worth sacrificing the BDS warranty and good reputation??

Keep in mind, as I said before, either way I go, I will be spending the same dollar amount (within $100) due to the upgrading of the BDS to get LCA's, UCA's etc etc, to make it the same as the RE lift.

Cant speak on Rubicon, but I have the BDS lift on my 01 XJ and I do like it. Been on for 2 years no issues what so ever.
Picture028.jpg

Well i ran a 3'' bds lift on my old rubicon and loved it. The warranty was definately a plus and they stood by it. You cant go wrong with RE either..excellent product and customer service. The RE 4.5 kit with full springs is arguably the most complete/quality lift on the marker sub-1000$. U will quite likely need at least a driveshaft for the 3'' bds lift, but you may get way with just minor vibes or none if shimmed correctly. If it were me id go with the RE, its proven, almost 100% satisfaction on this and other boards, and if done correctly you needn't worry about a warranty. Im runnin quadratec leaves, RE BB and shocks, 31's and lovin it. No ds needed, no trimming, no rubbin, and no saggin for 2 years runnin. Total cost was under 400$ plus tires. My .02

Nickster said:
Well i ran a 3'' bds lift on my old rubicon and loved it. The warranty was definately a plus and they stood by it. You cant go wrong with RE either..excellent product and customer service. The RE 4.5 kit with full springs is arguably the most complete/quality lift on the marker sub-1000$. U will quite likely need at least a driveshaft for the 3'' bds lift, but you may get way with just minor vibes or none if shimmed correctly. If it were me id go with the RE, its proven, almost 100% satisfaction on this and other boards, and if done correctly you needn't worry about a warranty. Im runnin quadratec leaves, RE BB and shocks, 31's and lovin it. No ds needed, no trimming, no rubbin, and no saggin for 2 years runnin. Total cost was under 400$ plus tires. My .02

I doubt I'd need an SYE/CV DS with only 3" of lift....not saying that it's not possible, just saying I doubt it. I mean if I went 3" I'd shim it, and put Rusty's 1" T-case drop X-member in, that way I wouldn't lose any ground clearnace...if I needed an SYE/ CV DS after doing BOTH of those things...I'd be VERY surprised!

No SYE here,I made my own 1" T-case drop.

Nickster said:

I appreciate the input...I hear a lof of great things about BDS and RE, which is why I'm so undecided. Not to sound like an ass here, but I wasn't asking about trying to save money or within a certain budget. I had a very specific question about which kit would be better since after upgrading the BDS to MATCH the RE lift with the same components would cost just as much as the RE. That's why I'm so undecided.

Like I said in my original post, is the 1.5" in the RE worth giving up such a good warranty on the BDS? Or, is the BDS at the SAME price, worth sacrificing the extra 1.5"...again, I'm not worried about 31's or 32's....I rarely ever off road and when I do, either lift would be sufficient with some skids underneath.

I would run the BDS, just because i've had experience with both RE and now BDS. had a 3.5" RE Superflex on my 88. Had some issues with their control arm bolts. Had to replace some of them. Now I have a 6.5" BDS, and I know...I know, apples and oranges, but the quality of the BDS lift is awesome. My buddy and I have pounded our trucks for one season and neither of us has had a single problem. Nothing is loose, nothing is sagging (RE sagged after a year) and like you said, you can't pay for the kind of warranty BDS is offering! I know you don't wheel much, so breaking the stuff isn't as much of an issue. But lets say your driver side spring sags because you sit in on that side. After 5 years, you can get new ones! My RE sagged horribly to the drivers side. I'm 250lbs so I understand, but it was only in for 1 year.
I vote BDS!

If your not worried about going above 31's then just get the 3'' BDS if you like the warranty so much. The extra lift on the RE 4.5 kit is just from shackles in the back and taller coils in the front, both of which are easily done later if needed. The BDS lift is very nice and will be more than fine for your application. No ones offering opinions b/c research and your intended usage would indicate either is fine.

One more thing...I absolutely HATE the Gen II discos from RE, can't tell you how many times I've had to replace the pin on the axle housing, and the top bolt always came loose. BDS discos are amazing, don't be fooled with the plastic cap for the disconnects. They work amazing!

"The extra lift on the RE 4.5 kit is just from shackles in the back and taller coils in the front"

Actually with the RE super flex kit you either have the option of shackles or completely new leaf springs with no schackles... I bought it with the replacement leaf springs and I love my setup, I'd go with the
RE

Call Dirk @ DPG offroad. He is a great guy to talk to. He will tell you what you need and what you dont. He has some hybrid kits that are cool, and have some better components than the straight RE kit.

Nickster said:
If your not worried about going above 31's then just get the 3'' BDS if you like the warranty so much. The extra lift on the RE 4.5 kit is just from shackles in the back and taller coils in the front, both of which are easily done later if needed. The BDS lift is very nice and will be more than fine for your application. No ones offering opinions b/c research and your intended usage would indicate either is fine.

You know, I never even thought of that! That may be the ULTIMATE way to go...for MY needs/wants anyways. That brings me to a new question.

When I priced the BDS lift, I priced it with their fixed UCA's and LCA's....would these work if I decided later to put a spacer in the front and shackle in the rear, or, should I just spend the extra money and get the adjustable uppers and lowers right off the bat, just in case I do decide to space it out later??

If you plan on going bigger get the adjustables. I have fixed lowers and like them. After 2 years my xj is at 3.5" in the front and almost 4" in the rear.

Back