• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 fuel pump over 4 bills????????

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
YIKES! My fuel pump does not hold pressure on the rail anymore and it leaks through the top someplace, so I figured I'll just replace the whole unit, but over 4 bills? I'd usually go aftermarket in situation like that but I keep hearing that folks have problems with aftermarket fuel pumps and that they fail faster then the OEM ones.

I replaced mine with one from PepBoys a few months ago. Wasn't all that expensive (definitely not $400ish).

Are you sure your leak isn't something simple like the big rubber o-ring that goes on top of the tank when you screw in the fuel pump assembly?

gregmondro said:
I replaced mine with one from PepBoys a few months ago. Wasn't all that expensive (definitely not $400ish).

Are you sure your leak isn't something simple like the big rubber o-ring that goes on top of the tank when you screw in the fuel pump assembly?
that's actually probably what it is, but with it not holding pressure I was going to replace it. Now I'm thinking a checkvalve and an o-ring might be in order :D

I had a similar problem with mine. The check valve went, and in the morning when I went to start it, she would crank and crank. On the second attempt, it would fire right up (wasnt keeping the pressure). The first time around I replaced it with a pump and sending unit from NAPA (Airtex or something like that). Well it lasted about a year and a half till the pump completely went on me. So the second time around I replaced just the pump (much cheaper than the whole sending unit deal). I put a Bosch pump in, and no problems so far. Just make sure you check all your fule lines and the big plastic ring seal on top of your tank (97+). Because often times, the problem might just be an o-ring (as stated above), and that is much cheaper to fix. Good luck.

Ice_Man said:
I had a similar problem with mine. The check valve went, and in the morning when I went to start it, she would crank and crank. On the second attempt, it would fire right up (wasnt keeping the pressure). The first time around I replaced it with a pump and sending unit from NAPA (Airtex or something like that). Well it lasted about a year and a half till the pump completely went on me. So the second time around I replaced just the pump (much cheaper than the whole sending unit deal). I put a Bosch pump in, and no problems so far. Just make sure you check all your fule lines and the big plastic ring seal on top of your tank (97+). Because often times, the problem might just be an o-ring (as stated above), and that is much cheaper to fix. Good luck.
were you able to take the whole unit appart? or how does that work? I haven't taken the 97+ unit out in a while and I can't remember what it looks like.

Kejtar said:
cool writeup, thanks dude!
No problem man, just passing along the info.

Back