• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Offroad leaf springs... anyone have them?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I don't want this to turn into a discussion of which leaf springs are out there or a bash on other leaf springs out there. I am just not finding any write-ups on these leafs, and the bigoffroad web site looks like it has been down for months. Is anyone running them? If you are running them, how are they? Too stiff a road ride? Offroad performance? I'm looking for anything that would help. Thanks in advance.

I've got the 5.5 inches over stock in the rear paired with .75 inch bigger shackles.
I like the ride they have all around. Some say it's rough (rear pasengers), but I'm also running STIFF BDS shocks. I haven't had any other springs to compare them to, but all in all they are pretty flexy, and can hold 600 pounds without sagging too much.

i have his 8" packs with 2" rockkrawler shackles on mine with bilstein 5150s. my road ride is fine, but dont have any expierence with them offroad. they r just starting to settle after about a year.

I have the prototype BOR 6" Flex-Duty springs.I'm the one that did all the trail (and road) testing of them before they were released and after 2 years they're still going strong.They ride MUCH better both on the road and the trail than my RE springs ever did.They provided a true 6" of lift and with about 175-200 lbs. of gear loaded they only sag about 1/2".I've ran them both here in Colorado and in Moab on some pretty harsh trails and they've taken all the abuse I can throw at them.

In a nutshell I think they are awesome.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Heres a flex shot:
P4300028.jpg

In this pic my rig is literally sitting hard on the leafs themselves- no damage done.
P5030246.jpg

Hope this helps.

I've been running his springs for about 6 years now and love them. The extra wrap handles the torque from the stroker without destroying the springs.

I have had his 4" Flex-E springs since March and I love them. The ride is a huge improvement over what I had, they flex is great and they stand tall.

I am very happy with them!

Glen

jeepjay90 said:
i have his 8" packs with 2" rockkrawler shackles on mine with bilstein 5150s. my road ride is fine, but dont have any expierence with them offroad. they r just starting to settle after about a year.

That's hilarious. 10" of lift for street driving...

I thought I remember reading somewhere those springs are made by Alcan.

You could see what John the guy who runs BIGoffroad has to say if hes still around the boards, hes a pretty good guy, knows his stuff

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm going to order a pair this week! Does anyone run the heavy duty springs or do most of you have the FlexE leaf springs?

So if you are running a heavy rear and bumper with a tire carrier will the flexe still hold up or better off with HD?

jeeperguy21 said:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm going to order a pair this week! Does anyone run the heavy duty springs or do most of you have the FlexE leaf springs?

When I talked to John at BigOffroad he recommended the Felx-E springs unless you are going to tow a lot.

jragan said:
So if you are running a heavy rear and bumper with a tire carrier will the flexe still hold up or better off with HD?

I don't have a tire carrier but I have loaded the jeep up with my spare, way more tools than I should take, camping equipment and coolers for two families for a week, front and rear spare axles, CO2 tank, etc. etc. and it barely goes down at all. I don't think the bumper and tire carrier are going to make any difference.

Make sure you install a set of dogleg shackles.

JohnJohn, I am really interested in your 8" leaf spring packs, but would like to know what you recommend. I daily drive my xj and go offroad weekly, so would the FlexE better fit my Jeep? I also load up the read of my XJ on a weekly basis as I haul a couple hundred pounds of boxes for my job once a week. Will the FlexE leaf springs still be able to hold up to the 8" height? Do you only recommend the heavy duty springs for towing applications? Thanks for your help. I would like to order a pair asap.

jeeperguy21 said:
JohnJohn, I am really interested in your 8" leaf spring packs, but would like to know what you recommend. I daily drive my xj and go offroad weekly, so would the FlexE better fit my Jeep? I also load up the read of my XJ on a weekly basis as I haul a couple hundred pounds of boxes for my job once a week. Will the FlexE leaf springs still be able to hold up to the 8" height? Do you only recommend the heavy duty springs for towing applications? Thanks for your help. I would like to order a pair asap.

The HD leafs are for consistent load and part time towing.

For only weekly loading go with the FlexE leafs. I just redesigned the 8" FlexE leafs. I found that after the 1-2 week break in period the length was too long. I wasn't selling the 8" FlexE for the first few months because of this, but it's all fixed now.

I'll be doing some R&D this month on the new HD leaf, a shorter design. I found that after 6 years of use on my rig they stretch about 1/2" too long. I am shortening them 1/2". This will allow the shackle to move back more later in the leafs life.

This design change means all leafs will be the same length (eye to eye measurement). Of course the curved measurement will be different. depending on the size of lift you want.

The shopping cart is up an running, not all the way, but for the BIGoffroad leafs anyway.

Back