• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Sport Keyless entry pics?

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 98 XJ sport with power windows/locks. I know this means I should have the keyless entry so I wanted to buy the remotes on eBay but I dont know which one to buy. Can you guys show me the pics of ur remotes lol? And if you know how to program it, instructions would be nice also. thanks!

you better have somebody like a dealer run your vin # first i dont think keyless entry is a givin just because you have power locks but if you do have it you want the square remote not the skinny one thats rounded on one end thats what i have on my 98

There is a number engraved on the back that goes with certain years. The dealer will charge close to a $100 to reprogram the fob. I've found a few locksmiths that have the ability to reprogram for around $40 so search around

Here is what it looks like.

fob.jpg

Watch for dead remotes on ebay. Also, I called my local dealer and they want $20 apiece for the Fobs and another $30 to program them total. Since there is no way to program them without a DRB scan tool, this isn't too bad.

Durango-Bob said:
Watch for dead remotes on ebay. Also, I called my local dealer and they want $20 apiece for the Fobs and another $30 to program them total. Since there is no way to program them without a DRB scan tool, this isn't too bad.

That's really good. My local stealership tried to charge me 180. Key word being tried.

The two button one shown in the pic above is what you want. It's the same one I have for my '98. Panic button ones came out for '99 models. Just make sure it has the following part number stamped on the back and you'll be fine:

Cost to have the dealer program it should run you about $30 - $40, depending upon the dealer.

My 99 has shows Chrysler part# 56036859

Dave

talked to my local dealer and he said $42.50 to program the remotes but also said that it tell you how to in the owners manual anyone have that info?

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
talked to my local dealer and he said $42.50 to program the remotes but also said that it tell you how to in the owners manual anyone have that info?

It has to be programmed with a DRB Scan tool, that only the dealer has and can afford. The only thing the manual tells you how to do is how to shut off the "horn chrip" when you lock your doors..... Call your dealership and ask to speak to the Service Manager, and he'll confirm (if he's really smart enough) it's a dealer only fuction to program your remote....

Back