• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS cause AW4 to start off in second or third?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, after going through some water today the AW4 began to start off in second or third gear (cannot really tell which gear it is).

I am able to shift into first (I think) if I hit the shifter down to 1-2. I think it's first gear, and not second.

So I unplugged the TCM and am able to shift manually just fine.

I notice my NSS must have came out of alignment again, as my reverse lights weren't working unless I wiggled the shifter a bit forward. Also I am not able to start in neutral.

Now the NSS has been cleaned/lubed twice with dialectic grease. Always works fine.

However it has come out of adjustment before, and hasn't caused shifting problems. The tiny adjustment bolt doesn't get loose. However the big nut does loosen up and this causes it to be out of adjustment.

I'll readjust it tomorrow.....and let everyone knows what happens.

However I was also thinking it would be possible that the TPS got wet. However it was totally dry, and water didn't splash up that high to get into the engine, let alone get to the TPS.

So let me know what ya think, I've read about NSS's before but nothing really regarding starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear while in "D" pertaining to a misaligned NSS. TIA :)

NSS controls nothing except starting and backup lights. I usually disconnect them at the connector under the hood and jump the pins. It has no effect on shifting.

Jess said:
NSS controls nothing except starting and backup lights. I usually disconnect them at the connector under the hood and jump the pins. It has no effect on shifting.

Actually, it can. I've seen them actually go bad, and throw the CEL. Most common shifting symptom from this is loss of OD at random times.

I wiggled the shifter enough last night until the reverse lights came on when they should.

I drove to class this morning shifting manually.

Before heading off to my afternoon class, I decided to plug the TCM back in for the hell of it. And it has been shifting fine now! Woohoo.

So perhaps the NSS is related. I'm gonna realign it soon. But then today I also just found out I broke and axle shaft a few days ago when wheelin and didn't know about it until today. Boo.

Axleshaft.jpg

Back