• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving without Rear driveshaft

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting an SYE on my 99 with np231 TC. I have the SYE but i have to wait a week or so to get the new DS. Will i cause any problems if i drive around in 4wd? In theory i know it will work but sometimes things like this dont work well in practice. Please let me know. Thanks

yes it will work, but don't plan on making tight corners. also, stay off the highway...that's not a good idea to drive on the highway with no rear d.s.

there shouldn't be any issues with driving it that way though. it makes it alot easier that it's got an SYE now....it's not going to leak any fluid so you shouldn't have any problems unless you have bad front ujoints.

I had to drive 300+ miles back to So. Cal from the Rubicon trail in Tahoe in front drive due to a damaged drive shaft but I'm worried about what it's done to my transfer case; is seems to be O.K but there is some new driveline lash.

I had to drive 300+ miles back to So. Cal from the Rubicon trail in Tahoe in front drive due to a damaged drive shaft but I'm worried about what it's done to my transfer case; is seems to be O.K but there is some new driveline lash.

I drove mine about 100 miles without the rear drive shaft
and had no problems just keep your speed down
and maybe a good idea to stay off the freeway.
Oh and just my opinion but you will want to be easy on the
throttle.

The front end and steering gear on the XJ are not designed to be driven with the front shaft alone unlike front wheel vehicles. Having said that, I have driven my XJ with the front shaft alone. It torque steer real bad when you get on the gas. At speed she bucks and bobs all over the highway. Scare the living $h!t out of me. Take off slow and keep your speed low. T-case wear? Some one else here would have info.

yea its doable like they have said..... you definitely dont want to slam on the gas because some scary stuff will happen. I dont recommend it though it should not hurt your t-case much if you drive for a long period of time with no rear driveshaft.

C85D4x4 said:
Or......................

You can just use the front Driveshaft in the rear

:dunno:

yeah in a perfect world

C85D4x4 said:
It worked for me

I run front shafts in the front and rear also. Stock length works great for both.

It's a '96.

it's not a great idea because the t-case is chain driven and you may cause premature chain wear/ stretch. if you take it easy and slow, it should work but i wouldn't do it anymore than you have to...

I drove for three months like that, due to various logistics around getting a new rear driveshaft/lift. No problems. I wouldn't go off-roading like that, but I went up and down a steep dirt and gravel driveway without any difficulty.

Hell, I accidentally drove the XJ around for almost 20,000 miles with no lube in the transfer case. That same XJ now has over 100,000, with some serious off road abuse, and it's still rock solid, no issues.

Stop babying those XJ's. They'll take it.

Last edited:
WildernessJeep said:
I drove for three months like that, due to various logistics around getting a new rear driveshaft/lift. No problems. I wouldn't go off-roading like that, but I went up and down a steep dirt and gravel driveway without any difficulty.

Hell, I accidentally drove the XJ around for almost 20,000 miles with no lube in the transfer case. That same XJ now has over 100,000, with some serious off road abuse, and it's still rock solid, no issues.

Stop babying those XJ's. They'll take it.

BIG difference driving on dirt and gravel roads then on the street and highways!!!

BADaXJ said:
it's not a great idea because the t-case is chain driven and you may cause premature chain wear/ stretch. if you take it easy and slow, it should work but i wouldn't do it anymore than you have to...

shouldn't be a big deal because without a rear ds there won't be any binding.

keep0njeepin0n said:
BIG difference driving on dirt and gravel roads then on the street and highways!!!

40 miles of highway into town. Only the last 8 are on dirt (and the last 1/2 mile is straight up, with 6 switchbacks). I've been called a lot of things, but "easy on machinery" isn't one of them.

Like I said, that particular transfer case went 20,000 miles (on accident) on road and off, with absolutly NO LUBRICATION AT ALL. Dryer than a popcorn fart. No problems.

I've been doing some research on the SYE w/ the Front DS used in the rear after an SYE kit install.

It SHOULD work IF: Your rear axle is an 8.25, your TC is a 231, and you have an AUTOMATIC transmission with a 4.0L.

Then and only then SHOULD you be able to use your front DS as a rear DS and vice versa.

It mike work with a D35........ and maybe a 242. But I know it has to be an automatic 4.0L.

ty20404, you can use it in any application.

some just require a custom shaft...your research is just showing what system a stock length front shaft will work in as the rear shaft. and you're right.

but I can use a front shaft in any rear application if it's lengthened or shortened to work.

Back