• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i just finished changing the following out on my '88 xj:
rear main seal
clutch and preesure plate
pilot bearing
release bearing
all seals and fluids on tranny and transfer case
now i have two problems. one is that my new clutch doesn't engage until i push it almost right to the floor(like withing an inch of the floor) and even when i do have it all the way down it still is sometimes a bit tought to get into gears(not that hard but not too easy either). and my second problem is that when iam driving its pretty much normal until i hit about 85km/h and shift into 5th, then i can hear a slight dragging sound like sand paper rubbing or something(or it could be the sound of air blowing). the sound starts when i start accelerating in 5th from about 1500rpm till i hit about 2000rpm. any ideas?

Im sure you've checked this but your troubles dissengaging the clutch sounds like a pressure problem, how well did you bleed the clutch system.

Its up to you but make sure there arent any more air bubbles. I would think that after two tries it should be pretty good. As for your new sound i don't know what to tell you. I'v noticed that iff i rest my hand on the stick it will make a light sanding noise.

mitsumotors said:
no, this sound is like a rubbing sound that builds as i accelerate and if i take my foot off the gas it stops instantly.

when you say this? do you mean sitting still or while driving it?

Also, not judging you skills or knowledge? but did you tight the pressure plate down in a star pattern, in steps?

its while driving. and i just used a impact on the pressure plate because when i tried to use a torque wrench it would just spin the flywheel.

someone told me to wedge a two by four onto the clutch and keep it pinned down over night. anyone ever heard of doing this? what does it do?

It is possible that the impact wrench warped your plate, this could acount for difficult shifting. I still can't think of anything for your mystery sound

i doubt that it tightened it that much because i tightened it as much as i could with a wrench and then used the imact, but i had to use so many extensions on the imact that it barely moved them at all. i doubt it moved them enough to warp the plate.... i hope.

never heard of it. did you leave the alignent tool in while you burped the preasure plate bolts down?

well, I hate to tell ya but I think your goona have to pull it apart AGAIN.

no, no, i did use the alignment tool. i just worded that last post a little weird but yeah, i left the alignment tool in while i was tightening it all up.

Back