• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Questions ...

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to upgrade size a bit and curious what you guys think. it seems like the BFG and MTR are fairly popular on here. Are those generally the 2 to get so to speak ?

I have MTRs right now and they seem a bit noisy for my liking. The tires i have narrowed it down to are:

GY MTR
BFG MT
Toyo OC MT
ProComp Xtreme MT

All are priced within a nominal amount of each other so price is not a determining factor. The Jeeps primary use is as a hunting Jeep ... so mud, rocks, trails are every day ... but it still needs to have nice road manners.

What are your thoughts ?

I had been running 33x10.50 BFG MT's and really liked them. I changed to Procomp Extreme Mud Terrains and while I've only had them out once I like them. They do seem to be louder on the road than the BFGs. I wanted to go with a wider tire because I was getting body damage so i looked at the BFGs in a 12.50 but with the Procomp buy one get one free the price was right.

my bro runs 33" BFG MT on his TJ and they arnt as noisey as i expected ...

good tire

TomH said:
I had been running 33x10.50 BFG MT's and really liked them. I changed to Procomp Extreme Mud Terrains and while I've only had them out once I like them. They do seem to be louder on the road than the BFGs. I wanted to go with a wider tire because I was getting body damage so i looked at the BFGs in a 12.50 but with the Procomp buy one get one free the price was right.

Not to hijack, but where did you get them Buy one Get one? Sounds very interesting.

I run the interco truxx tires, (33x12.5x15) they work great off road but they are soft rubber so im not sure how they would do on pavement, my xj only see's the trails and trailer, they were decent pricing too, im sure someone else can chime in on their road manners

im running 5.5" with the fenders pretty much cut off and they dont rub,

also the truxx's are a true 33", i ran bfg mt's before and they are only measered around 31.8 inches or something like that

I love my Toyo M/T's. I ran 2 sets of MTR's before the Toyos and I was very pleased with them also. If I had to choose between the Toyos and the MTR's, I would definately go with the Toyos. They seem to be just as tough as the MTR's but do much better in the mud and are very quiet. Dont get me wrong, the Goodyears are a great tire but do not perform well in the mud. Also the Toyos do better in wet pavement and snow/ice than my MTR's. I have heard of people getting 60k out of the Toyos and i was lucky to get 35k out of the MTR's. I am running 265/75/16 (32x11) and its a (load E) 10 ply tire. All the other brands that I looked at in that size were a 8 ply (load D). The Toyos also run larger than most of the other brands. I went from 245 MTR's to 265 Toyos and there was a big difference in size.

Last edited:
I run Toyos on my Dodge 3500 and JK ... love 'em ... they are HEAVY though. And in the size i'm looking at, they are again 10 ply and heavy.

Here's where I'm at with the tire store (* note ... this is for 5 tires, mtd and balanced) ...

BFG's - $1115 out the door
GY MTR - $1150 out the door
Toyo MT - $1295 out the door

Then come the 100% free replacement due to damamge certificates ... if i buy those and give them my 245 Gy MTRs with 9500 miles on them, each prices drops $50 (so basically they are giving me a warranty for my old tires). So i am figuring they are "allowing" me about $75 a tire or so. Which if I skip on the warranty the prices are:

BFG's - $740 out the door
GY MTR - $775 out the door
Toyo MT - $920 out the door

I love my BFG's and have 40k on them right now. They still have enough tread left that I could probably go around another 5-10k more with them. They started out great not really noisy for a MT but after 30k or so they are starting to hum pretty loudy but I'll live with that to get as many miles as I have gotten

Back