• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Radio, Heater, Electric Window Gremlins

OK, I think the three problems are related, since they all came around the same time. Overall, the wiring is pretty clean on my 89, having been rebuilt under the hood.

In the last few months, I did install a radio and had a hard time getting all the wires in there, but managed and all worked well for about 3 months. 1st symptom was the radio cutting in and out, but the CD worked fine. Thought antenna wire might be loose, but then the radio came on and off, CD and all things as well.

At the same time, the electric windows started acting up, working, not working. Behavior remains the same, although not working seems to be latest default mode.

As well, when I turn on the heater fan I can see a pretty significant drop on the ampmeter. With no fan, needle sits right in the middle. Turn fan on high, needle drops to just above the mark (~10V?).

I'm thinkin' I may have pinched a wire near the heater controls when I installed the radio. Anyone know if the other two circuits go near there?

Any other thoughts before I tear the dash apart (again)?

One other item: Ignition switch is getting kinda "loose". Any affect?

The initial problem with the radio might have been an unrelated, having to do with antenna or whatnot. Otherwise the items that are affected depend on current from the ignition switch. Not sure what you mean by "loose" but my first guess would be the switch is your problem. You just need to remove the lower dash panel to get at the switch. The switch has elongated mounting holes and you can check to make sure the screws haven't loosened allowing the switch to move when you turn the key. I think you can actually feel the switch and actuating rod with out removing the panel.

You may not want to change out the switch without determining for sure that that is your problem but they are inexpensive and not difficult to replace.

Let us know a bit more about your symptoms with the ignition key.

The ignition switch is new, the key cylinder is original '89 and a bit "loose" in that recently its gotten hard to get it exactly OFF (radio stays on) when you turn the key toward you all the way.

Good idea to look down there again though, since its easier than tearing aprt the dash.

Back