• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine vibration

bad motor mounts

poorly running engine: timing off, vacuum line to map sensor disconnected, dirty throttle body, bad spark plug or wire...................

i've had the following cause engine vibration

misfiring cylinder (lots of fuel/air possibilities)
worn fan clutch bearings
separated harmonic balancer
off-center torque converter snout
bad transmission and motor mounts

92DripCherokee said:
i've had the following cause engine vibration

misfiring cylinder (lots of fuel/air possibilities)
Checked all that

92DripCherokee said:
worn fan clutch bearings
don't have that

92DripCherokee said:
separated harmonic balancer
Had one and it busted the front of the crak shaft off. I checked this first but it's solid. [/quote]

92DripCherokee said:
off-center torque converter snout[/qoute]

will check. Doing all this today.

92DripCherokee said:
bad transmission and motor mounts
motor mounts are new. Hopefully not the tranny. It was rebuilt 6 months ago and has a new TC.

Will be trying an "unorthodox" technique by disconnecting TC from flexplate to try to isolate vibration. There's 2" of play when it's disconnected.

Then I'll check valve train for broken springs, push rods, bent valves. Then pull oil pan and check for loose bearings, con rods, etc.

As a note: a compression check shows all cylinders are at 150 psi. Really even. Installed new distributor, cap & rotor, plugs and wires a week ago. So ignition system is all new. Coil replaced two years ago. Will check to see if all 6 are firing.

Other recent replacements: New radiator (checked tranny fluid after), alternator, power steering, rebuilt carb. Vibrations didn't change.

Here's what's happening: Slight vibration in park, neutral, reverse or 1st and 2nd. Gets bad in 3rd, but really feel it when the lock-up in the TC kicks in. Especially going uphill or accelerating between 35 and 55. Hopefully, it's the TC, but still a pain to replace.

Thanks for the help.

Back