• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's 2nd Gear????

sethfry

NAXJA Forum User
Every year about this time, it starts to get cold in the midwest... and 2nd gear turns into a real "Son of Godzilla" in my rig. It always p*sses me off on cold mornings because I've got to shift from 1st to 3rd, but as the vehicle gets warm, it will come back to me?? Then spring time comes, and she's smooth as silk?? Any ideas??

Seth,

Is it a Ba10/5? Have you changed the tranny gear oil? My '88 will resist second gear shifts when cold too. It is a little better since I change the oil in the gear box. Can't afford a tranny swap so I just got to deal with it too,

Pigpen

Sethfry, I have the EXACT same thing. When the cold comes, second is near impossible. I'll change my oil maybe this weekend and see if there's a diff. I was thinking bushings.

my AX-15 hate's second as well when it's cold.

some redline synth went a long way towards fixing it, but it's still noteably tougher to get second than any other gear when the trans is cold.

put some good quality synthetic lube in it, it will help very much, mine was impossible, I thouhg tI was going to bend the gearshift lever.
now it's liveable, 1-2 is still a slow shift, but it goes without grinding.

I'll second the recommendation for Redline MTL. It makes a huge difference in cold shifting. Make sure you do not use GL5 rated oil as the sulfur content is corrosive to brass synchros when it gets hot.

I've got AMSOIL Manual Transmission/Transaxle in my Peugeot, and it shifts pretty nicely in the winter. Only on those -20 wind chill days does it act up.

Back