• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with hood latch......Cant open it

keithscianna

NAXJA Forum User
My battery died today so i went to open up my hood on my 97 to give her a jump but i could not open my hood! So i busted out the WD-40 and had at it. After about an hour of messing with it and prying up the side of the hood that opens(passenger) and trying to force it, I threw in the towel. This is really frustrating something so simple keeping me from doing anything. The stuck side is the drivers side. thanks for the help....

keith

yes it is still connected, the passenger side will open but the other side stayed closed. I kinda rigged a socket so the lever was fully extended and went and pushed and hit and pulled on the stuck side with no results. Also when i pull the lever i can hear the latch making noise but nothing happens.oh well I guess i will try the headlight removal. I have never taken off the headlight before is there a screw or something on the outside of the fixture or is it in the grill. Im kinda a newb and the military does not pay me enough to pay someone to do it for me. thanks,

keith

Keith, I had the same problem with mine. If one side does release AND if you can get one side up enough to slip your hand in, you can grab the rod that goes from the cable to each side latch and give it a pull. It should pop open.

Once you get it open, clean all the crap out of it, grease it really good while it's open, work the latches, move everything by hand until it moves like silk.

It's a pain in the a$$, but it's worth it to do it yourself. You may have to replace the two side latches as well, but that's an easy job and they can be found on ebay or possibly someone here has some.

Good luck!

P.S. Are you in the USAF? Where are you stationed?

Back