• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Issues

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
Over the past week or so, the headlights on my '91 XJ just don't seem to want to turn on on random occasions. When they do not come on, the corner lights still work and high beams still work. I have checked the harness on the battery, and I can hear the relay whenever I try to turn the headlights on, and all fuses are good. Loose connections somewhere? Any ideas on where to look next?

My '96 occasionally does that. I pull back on the stalk, like switching to high beams, and that makes the lights come on.

My 95 started the same thing a few weeks ago, and now tonight I have no taillights or corner markers. Fuses are all good (both boxes), bulbs are all good.
Can it be the headlight switch? Looks like fun to replace.

I have realized that when the headlights don't turn on, if I turn on the fog lamps, the headlights will turn on soon after. Weird...

Check the harness connection under the ECU. Mine was corroded to the point the connector began to crack open and my lights only worked when wanted to.

Back