• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chapter BOD stuff

JBweld

NAXJA Forum User
Is anybody interested in the Secretary/Treasurer position? Or Pres. and vice Pres. for that matter? What about you Ore-E-gornians?

Just thought I'd start a thread for BOD discussion.

DISCUSS NOW!

mojojojo said:
i would like to know in detail what the duties and responsibilities of the 3 BOD's are ? i can't seem to find a job description anywhere ?

The national bylaws are pretty vague. I might be reading too much into this, but here goes my best interpretation.

The Treasurer/Secretary is responsible for tracking all financial dealings the club has, either on a chapter level, or between the chapter and national. I would imagine that they are also responsible for recording the decisions of the chapter BOD and possibly relaying those to the mebership. As well as having a say in the decisions of the chapter BOD, and aiding in planning events.

The Vice President aids in chapter business, Votes on decisions, and helps to plan events.

The President Conducts any "Business" on behalf of the chapter, votes on decisions, helps to plan events and gets poo flung at him.:looney:

I also believe that the BOD becomes the moderators for the chapter forum, but I am not certain of that.

Maybe some of our past, or current BOD members can chime in and help

-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
The national bylaws are pretty vague. I might be reading too much into this, but here goes my best interpretation.

The Treasurer/Secretary is responsible for tracking all financial dealings the club has, either on a chapter level, or between the chapter and national. I would imagine that they are also responsible for recording the decisions of the chapter BOD and possibly relaying those to the mebership. As well as having a say in the decisions of the chapter BOD, and aiding in planning events.

The Vice President aids in chapter business, Votes on decisions, and helps to plan events.

The President Conducts any "Business" on behalf of the chapter, votes on decisions, helps to plan events and gets poo flung at him.:looney:

I also believe that the BOD becomes the moderators for the chapter forum, but I am not certain of that.

Maybe some of our past, or current BOD members can chime in and help

-Ryan

That's pretty much it. Maybe a hardcore BOD can draft up a set of Chapter By-Laws. Well, that's if your full BOD sticks around. In big enough Chapters you can also have other Directors if you want. That can be established later on and come from another election if you desire. First things first. Have to fill nominations for other positions and start working together, IMHO.

ECKSJAY said:
That's pretty much it. Maybe a hardcore BOD can draft up a set of Chapter By-Laws. Well, that's if your full BOD sticks around. In big enough Chapters you can also have other Directors if you want. That can be established later on and come from another election if you desire. First things first. Have to fill nominations for other positions and start working together, IMHO.

Thanks for the clarification Phil.
-Ryan

Speeking strickly from my experience in other BOD type positions (not for NAXJA). I think it would be VERY good to have at least 1 person on the board from Portland area. I think that it would help with the communication between the two most heavily populated groups who are both haveing numerous events. It would also provide more ideas and active communication for the entire group.

On a similar note, it often is a pain in the arse if the treasurer and the pres (I assume both have to sign?) can't sign check easily (meaning reasonably close together).

I am very happy with the people running currently and this comment has NOTHING to do with either of them, but I believe the perfect situation would be for 1 of either the Pres or VP to be from Portland, the Treasure/Sec from either would be fine (depending on check signing).

Just my thoughts,
Michael

2xtreme said:
Speeking strickly from my experience in other BOD type positions (not for NAXJA). I think it would be VERY good to have at least 1 person on the board from Portland area. I think that it would help with the communication between the two most heavily populated groups who are both haveing numerous events. It would also provide more ideas and active communication for the entire group.

On a similar note, it often is a pain in the arse if the treasurer and the pres (I assume both have to sign?) can't sign check easily (meaning reasonably close together).

I am very happy with the people running currently and this comment has NOTHING to do with either of them, but I believe the perfect situation would be for 1 of either the Pres or VP to be from Portland, the Treasure/Sec from either would be fine (depending on check signing).

Just my thoughts,
Michael

It doesn't need to be, nor has it ever been, that complicated. Funds get sent to Treas, Treas submits spreadsheet to me to look at. Funds need to be paid, Treas gets money order sent off to National. Since we don't have a not-for-profit status, we don't financially operate as a business. National can't seem to figure out WTF they want to do with all that. Have fun. :D

Bueller.......Bueller.....

Just a bump because elections are coming up!

Anybody from Oregon interested?

I would volunteer to jump in on any of the jobs, but with all of my rallies and travelling for work I don't really know how much time I would be able to devote to it.

Can anyone give any idea of how much time committment is involved?

WheelinJR said:

However much you can allocate. For event planning, we figured out (through research with other Chapters) that the sooner you plan, the better it can go. We weren't working our butts off at the last second for the last NWFest, which is probably why *I* felt it didn't do very well. We had a great turnout and all, but picking the date and putting it out there well in advance REALLY helped with reducing stress.

I digress. It's all conducive with how much time you want to spend and how many support BOD folks you have. Mark has done a great job keeping the books in line and letting me know our status. Treasurer really just needs to report quarterly and keep track of funds. Secretary (his other job) is also a Recorder, so our meeting discussions and planning has been written down. I personally found it nice to live only a 'few' miles from him, so while we were doing other personal stuff, we were able to discuss it. I think that great communication between the BOD can help make it easier. A quick PM to say, 'Hey, can I call ya tonight?' can really help out. Write down what ya talk about and store it for posterity.

I really didn't get to do as much as I would have liked, but I tried to do some things where I could. Most of it was thinking of things away from the 'net or other folks...and sending PMs when I got the chance. We got the For Sale forum up and running, and I brainstormed a fair way to let the local vendors announce themselves in it. I felt like it took a lot of the pissing matches away. Mark and I had personal issues that we both dealt with, but I didn't think that my time with NAXJA was sacrificed badly enough to let someone else handle things. My issue (custody battle, those who have been through them understand where I'm coming from) DRAINED me of time, mental fortitude, and of course, finances. I thank everyone (in the know) who helped us out during that time.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and now that I'm caught up with stuff, I can enjoy some time 'away'. I've gotten back into the roots of why I got involved in this motorsport, so I'm laying low for a while. I wish those coming in the best of luck, and promise you that while it's not a huge time consumer, it's still a very warm spotlight and there's no shortage of hecklers. ;)

WheelinJR said:
I would volunteer to jump in on any of the jobs, but with all of my rallies and travelling for work I don't really know how much time I would be able to devote to it.

Nominated? (not for the den, lol)

i'd volunteer, but with my web wheeling status, it would be unfair to all of you, because i couldnt devote the time needed for such an endeavour.

ladywolf said:
i'd volunteer, but with my web wheeling status, it would be unfair to all of you, because i couldnt devote the time needed for such an endeavour.

What you're doing is much more important. ;) The warrior within is jealous, but the humanitarian and Father is glad to be home with the family. :patriot:

ladywolf said:

Kris,
We all apreciate what you are doing for us currently!!!!
You don't need to add to it for us, concentrate on what you are doing and coming home safe!!
Michael

maybe once i get back and things get settled and we have another opportunity, i might run. we will haveta see, though.

BTT.

Anyone at all interested !!

Michael

Back