• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Question

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Dad noticed that the U-Joint on the left front of my Sister's XJ has worn out quicker than the right front and that seemed to happen on his '88 and '90. Do you guys have this happen or know exactly why this one goes out? His theory is that it has something to with the shorter axle on the driver side.

hmmm, in the 5+ years I have had my 88 I have noticed that side pops alot more when making turns. I never have had to do the axle U-joints, but they were on my list this winter when I was going to gear down my axles(looks like its gonna be sooner than later). I thought the disconnect was there to prevent this by disconnecting the axle while you turn. Well yesterday afternoon I was comming out of a stream and making a hard left when one of my friends thought he heard a ping come from my front end. I thought I felt some rubbing on the fenderwell and thought oh, if there is a problem it will make itself known soon; and it did a few miles down the trail I was looking at the pass. front u-joint. Everything up in there associated to the joint has a lot of play so looks like I get to do one as well.

bjoehandley said:
Dad noticed that the U-Joint on the left front of my Sister's XJ has worn out quicker than the right front and that seemed to happen on his '88 and '90. Do you guys have this happen or know exactly why this one goes out? His theory is that it has something to with the shorter axle on the driver side.
Usualy they "go" because of dryed up needle bearings rubbing around inside

If/when you do them, do them both, and be careful not to strip out the knuckles when putting the brake calipers back on!

The metal is very soft and the torque is like 12~20 FP

Back