• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box braces

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
i see that there are a few different types of steering box braces. is one better than the other? should i just plate it and call it good or use something like Rusty's (i know haters will have something to say)? i'm running 33's right now with stock steering and am starting with the brace first before i decide to do anything else. i just ordered my xj bumper kit off of ebay from iron scorpion and i see he has a nice plate for the steering box for $60. is that a good way to go? just wanted to see what others are running and from whom they got it from.

yeah brace and plate before you run into trouble

i have rustys brace and it is the same as all the other companies

iron's steering box plate is similar to crok etc and should be ok though c roks grabs the underside as well as the swaybars

i have gotten some of the JKS plates so i can weld it on for a more permenant and stronger setup when i go 37,s

so brace first and then plate is ok - get both- money well spent

I am running a Rusty's brace too. No problems and it seems to be doing the job.

I'm running both the Rustys steering box brace and the C-Rok frame strengthener, but I'm also turning 35's and possably planning 37s later.

id find a welding shop to plate your entire frame, like the frame stiffiners that are offered by some companies but then just extend all the way front to back with 3/16 inch steel or maybe 1/8

Cornflake said:
i see that there are a few different types of steering box braces. is one better than the other? should i just plate it and call it good or use something like Rusty's (i know haters will have something to say)? i'm running 33's right now with stock steering and am starting with the brace first before i decide to do anything else. i just ordered my xj bumper kit off of ebay from iron scorpion and i see he has a nice plate for the steering box for $60. is that a good way to go? just wanted to see what others are running and from whom they got it from.

Plating the frame is more important than using a brace. Actually, just using a steering brace without also plating the frame and adding a cross frame track bar mount brace can add to cracking. Without additional reinforcement, the steering brace will add to the frame flex between the steering box and the track bar mount increasing the rate of fatigue. In the long run, plating the frame is the only solution.

Metal fatigue is cumulative. You go along fine for awhile, then all of a sudden you start getting cracks in multiple places.

I went with the Iron Scorpion steering support plates. Install was very easy and quality of product was great as well. People seem to be having great success with his products as seen in this thread about his bumper http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927293&highlight=iron+scorpion.

I guess time will tell if these plates are adequate but from what I can judge they should be. For those of you wondering his product works with the C4x4 tow hook brackets as well.

I fabbed an interior plate from 5/32" steel and plug/stitch welded it to the inner framerail, the JCR bumper braces pick up the outside rail bolt holes.

Haven't wheeled it yet, time will tell if it holds up. It went together well though, I have confidence in it.

I also went with the MORE steering box cross-brace, seems like a beefy, quality component.

Goatman said:
Metal fatigue is cumulative. You go along fine for awhile, then all of a sudden you start getting cracks in multiple places.

this is so true - on the unibody i feel almost compelled to stiffen everything up as much as i can - for 33's the plate and brace will work great - any more extreme modding might require more frame stiffening, etc. - even with my 99 xj when i had 33's i still had some creaks (sp?) so the unibody only benfits from any addition plating

Question on the frame fatigue: I assume that high lift flexy suspensions that use the stock upper and lower arm locations put more stress on the unibody than a single attach point long-arm setup, correct?

Back