• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed cooling system sucks

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
Is the there a trick to getting the air out of a closed system? I have tried everything I can think of but I still have air. This would be on my 89 XJ. Thanks for any sugestion.:us:

There is also a "AIR-LIFT" filling tool. Todays vehicles almost all need it. Not only closed systems but a loit of them have something, heater core or hose, that is higher than the radiator. Drilling the T-stat will work on cherokees "usually" but an Airlift pulls vacuum on your system using air pressure. Then you shut it all off and wait a little while, to see if you have a leak, If it is free of leaks it will hold vacuum and then you use the vacuum to literally "suck" the coolant back in and you have no air in the system. Not very expensive and it pays for itself in no time flat. Cures not only headaches but a lot of messes as well!!!:spin1:

when working, closed system works well. either i'm a lucky s.o.b. or people complain too much about it. just never had any real trouble. drill the t-stat and call it good.

Yeah mine has been alright since I replaced the stock 17yr old pressure bottle and some of the 17yr old rad hoses. I just followed the haynes manual when I did mine, seemed to work okay:

-place the heater control on "max" heat.

-fill coolant bottle with 50/50 mix until level is at the top of the post.

-leave the pressure cap off the coolant bottle.

-run engine until t-stat opens (coolant will flow through the upper radiator hose, and it will get hot--you should be able to feel it and tell).

-Turn engine off and allow to cool.

-Add more coolant to bring the level back to the top of the post.

-Squeeze upper rad hose to expel air, and add more coolant as necesary. You'll have to squeeze the upper rad hose like a pump, to get the air out.

-Check for leaks, check fluid level after initial drive and top up as usual.

Did this 4 months ago and havn't had any problems with the system since then.

I converted to open cooling and still had issues. Some days great, some days overheat in the drive thru. Even at 35 mph + it wouldn't cool down. So, either a thermostat, or ??

Added a can of water tension breaker to kill the bubbles. Hasn't been a problem since. I think I just never got the burp completely done, or have been recyling an air bubble. If it comes back, the stat's getting changed.

Back