• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info on a slow speed front end clunk.

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have read many posts about a clunking noise up front while going slow. My XJ would do it regularly when entering and exiting the driveway. My Jeep has a rebuilt WJ converted front axle so I thought it might be related to the new track bar angle and lack of extra support. Others have suggested tightening the frame mount for the track bar, still a good idea.

Two days ago I started to get the begining signs of front end wobble. I've experienced death wobble three years ago on date night with the wife, not good! I checked the front end and the two year old ball joints had slight play. (Note: buy quality not cheap) When I removed the axle shaft nut the unit hub feel apart!! I now know what was truly going on. This too was a cheap part. I was think of others that have removed the stub shaft and drivin, wow. Anyway, long story short for those that have a clunk, check the unit hub. You will have to remove the caliper and axle nut to allow for an acurate check.

Angus

unit hubs suck.

one fell apart on our PSD after 150k. my mom drove it for a week like that. when i jacked it up, the front wheel about feel off.

clunks dont always go away and should always be checked out for the safety of yourself and those around you.

Back