• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie the same as a lockright?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed an aussie in my xj's 30 and i was expecting it to be pretty much undetectable like my lockright was in my TJ's 30. It's TOTALLY there when turning in reverse. It has a really obvious popping. Is this normal for the aussie? I noticed it doesn't have as many parts as the lockright did but the concept of how it functions is the same so i didn't think it would be any different than my lockright. I kinda expected a ratcheting type noise but this acts like a bag of popcorn. Normal? It only does it in reverse on turns.

XJMarty said:
aussie I installed on my friends XJ was the same, It disapperared with time, locks still

Oh ok, this one was bought used with about a thousand miles on it. I figured it was already broken in.

jeeperjohn said:
It should not be very loud. You may want to check the gaps to ensure it's not too tight in the carrier. My Aussie is quieter than my lockright.

How do i adjust gaps if it's too tight? I had some time and took it to a gravel lot and stuck it in 4wd. I had that "centering" feeling in the steering wheel and it was quite hard to steer. It was popping while turning forward and was very hard to turn. It was less noticeable in reverse (4wd) though. I'm scratching my head cuz i just read that the aussie is the quietest and smoothest operating auto locker (on aussie's site) and i'm getting the complete opposite. I starting to doubt this is a break-in issue.

My Aussie only made two pops. The first tight left turn and the first right turn I made it popped, but that was it. Like everyone says it is much quitter than a lock right.

Now there is supposed to me a slight ratcheting noise when you turn, but it’s a very consistent noise that should only happen in a turn when your not on the gas. The locker will definitely affect your turning radius and how it turns.

I would look on Aussie’s web site make sure you have all the parts, and have them in the correct order. Then I would inspect the locker and make sure nothing is obviously wrong. Almost sounds like you might have a broken tooth, or maybe a spring wasn’t quite in the seat correctly and fell out. You may also check the straps on the carrier and make sure they are lined up correctly w/ the marks on the straps and carrier. Also make sure all the bolts in the carrier were torqued correctly.
The gap is not really adjustable. The instructions tell you the width the gap should be just to double check your work and ensure it was put together correctly.

muddeprived said:
How do i adjust gaps if it's too tight? I had some time and took it to a gravel lot and stuck it in 4wd. I had that "centering" feeling in the steering wheel and it was quite hard to steer. It was popping while turning forward and was very hard to turn. It was less noticeable in reverse (4wd) though. I'm scratching my head cuz i just read that the aussie is the quietest and smoothest operating auto locker (on aussie's site) and i'm getting the complete opposite. I starting to doubt this is a break-in issue.
On mine I had to actually lap the part of the crosspin that makes contact with the locking plates inside the Aussie. It would be worthwhile to remeasure the gaps and make sure there is enough clearance between locking plates.

I spoke with aussie's engineers (great customer service) and they said the measurements are very important for the locker to function correctly so i will have to tear off the cover and measure. I think the way to adjust the gap is to adjust the thickness of those thin metal washers on the side gears.

My Aussie is extremely loud even in a slight turn. The gaps/measurements are in spec. I have wheeled it hard and street driven it about 5k now and no change. I'm running the suggested Lucas 85-140 lube.

It sucks on-road but off road it kicks a** so I still like it!

xjtrailrider said:
My Aussie is extremely loud even in a slight turn. The gaps/measurements are in spec. I have wheeled it hard and street driven it about 5k now and no change. I'm running the suggested Lucas 85-140 lube.

It sucks on-road but off road it kicks a** so I still like it!

loud as in clicking?

muddeprived said:
loud as in clicking?

Mine has never clicked, it clunks on turns. The sharper you turn the louder it clunks! I can get it to click with the front end off of the ground but in real driving conditions it clunks. Some times it makes no noise at all, just depends.

I have called Torque Masters tech line and have gone through all of the measurements with the engineer. He says it is fine, just a noisy locker, some are and some are not.

muddeprived said:
I spoke with aussie's engineers (great customer service) and they said the measurements are very important for the locker to function correctly so i will have to tear off the cover and measure. I think the way to adjust the gap is to adjust the thickness of those thin metal washers on the side gears.
Now that I think about it I lapped the crosspin to get the right measurement between the axle tips and the cross shaft.

Well i gave it some break in time and it's still popping and clunking in reverse. I spoke with Aussie engineers about it and they are sending a new spring/pin kit to see what that does. Everything was measured in specs so i dunno why it's doing what it's doing. Yesterday i backed up while turning left and it clunked every second during the turn and then when i started turning to the right, it didn't. It's just odd......

jeeperjohn said:
Now that I think about it I lapped the crosspin to get the right measurement between the axle tips and the cross shaft.
The axles have nothing to do with the locker clearances!

i just installed mine ... i get more clicking in reverse .. but you have to listen to it ... the only time i really "notice" it is if my steering is hard over

JeepinCoastie said:
i just installed mine ... i get more clicking in reverse .. but you have to listen to it ... the only time i really "notice" it is if my steering is hard over

if only mine would do that.

I took it out on it's maiden voyage and had more than enough mud to test it out. It stayed locked the whole time but would clunk and make a loud pop every now and then. It didn't clunk in reverse at all (in 4wd) but does it in 2wd??? Confusing.......

Im gonna take this out, trash it, and get a damn lockright.

Back