• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/c freezing pipes and vibrations

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a reconditioned compressor fitted to my jeep cherokee 4.0 litre auto.

The a/c cooling works well.

however when the swtich is on no.1 setting one of the a/c pipes freezes on the outside.

The two pipes connected to the compressor( one gets hot and the other cold; i guess this is normal.)

So my question is ; what causes pipes to freeze on the p\outside.?

The second problem is that when i switch on the a/c i feel a vibration on the steering wheel ( in fact the entire vehicle starts to vibrate).When the /c is switrced off; the vibration goes away.

I need help here and will apprecite all suggestions and comments.

regards
collin.

1. The suction line (fat one) should be cool. The small line (pressure line) should be warm/mild hot.

2. Icing is caused by condensation of the moisture in the air. If icing is on the suction line all the way from the firewall to the compressor, get it checked. Icing should not occur at the compressor.

3. The vibration could be cuased by several things, the idle has not been stepped up by the ECM, bad pulley bearing (check idler) are examples. Look at the belts when the a/c is on, is it flapping excessively?

good luck,
Tom

The vibration could also be caused by your auxillary fan kicking on....if some part of it has gone bad (broken/bent blade, etc), it will vibrate like hell....

Hi Boatwrench;

i did notice some belt flapping.
do you think i should tighten the belt more?

Thanks for your suggestions.what surprises me is that when the a/c compressors is swtiched off; the vibration goes away.could it be safe to assume the problme is either related to the a/c system or compressor pulley ?

look forward to your comments,

regards
collin

If the vibration goes away when AC off it could still be the idle motor. Turn the ac on and listen to the engine if there is a little rev, then the ECM is working. Try tighten the belt a bit also, that's probably all it is.

icing could be caused by: low air flow through condensor, bad/plugged filter/dryer, low charge, bad/plugged TXV (or orifice)

check and clean your condensor first, then look into the other things, you will have to go to a shop for those though, unless you are automotive EPA certified.

Back