• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE on non lifted XJ?

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
We are running a bone stock XJ (0,5" lift :)), in stock competition class, after we stripped the straps tha hold the rear driveshaft to the pinion yoke twice (destroying tho yoke secont time) I decided to buy a Ubolt style yoke - fine, nop more ripped straps.

I idea came to my mind, is the any strenght advantage in doing a sye on this?
I was thiking of going AA sye + front DS (shortened probably).

We did not have any other issues with the rear DS at all, I was just tkinking if the
SYe would be any beneficial in strenght ...

you'll still have to tip your pinion angle up...but I wouldnt see a problem with it....

XJMarty said:
We are running a bone stock XJ (0,5" lift :)), in stock competition class, after we stripped the straps tha hold the rear driveshaft to the pinion yoke twice (destroying tho yoke secont time) I decided to buy a Ubolt style yoke - fine, nop more ripped straps.

I idea came to my mind, is the any strenght advantage in doing a sye on this?
I was thiking of going AA sye + front DS (shortened probably).

We did not have any other issues with the rear DS at all, I was just tkinking if the
SYe would be any beneficial in strenght ...

Is the front driveshaft stronger than the rear? taht i do not know but i do know aftermarket cv driveshafts are stronger so that'll be a good upgrade. Jeeps should come from the factory with double cardian cv shafts because some leave the factory with vibes.

muddeprived said:
. Jeeps should come from the factory with double cardian cv shafts because some leave the factory with vibes.
no kidding , mine must have been bad , it came with a transfer case drop on it

is the any strenght advantage in doing a sye on this?
===================================
No, just more cost.
A stock yoke can be OFFSET drilled for a U bolt. Cheep, strong for a near stock I6.
PS: Replace the bolts on stock straps after 3 uses will fix most of the problems. DON'T over torque.

This was a new set, torqued propertly and I even used loctit for it.

I snapped all the bolts. I was a steep climb with few minor jumps with engine in 2nd LOW gear and almost 5000 rpm

Last edited:
I think there is a strength advantage with a sye. If you get a super short sye like JB conversions, that advantage is even greater. I have a flat flange on the rear of mine because of vibes and problems with the steel straps not holding the u-joint even when properly torqued. I don't know the part number but I believe it is a Dodge Durango '99 and up. This will positively eliminate any problems with the rear of the driveshaft coming loose.

Back