• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasket Removal

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I've never had to replace anything with a gasket before and now I'm having trouble gatting all of the old gasket off. (Waterpump and tsat housing). Anyone have any tricks to get all the old gasket off?
Thanks

kdailey4315 said:
Hey all,
I've never had to replace anything with a gasket before and now I'm having trouble gatting all of the old gasket off. (Waterpump and tsat housing). Anyone have any tricks to get all the old gasket off?
Thanks

A flexible putty knife will work there. If you're reasonably careful, you can also use a single-edge razor blade (yes, a razor blade can gouge cast iron - be careful!)

If you go to your local OSH, you should be able to find Scotch-Brite discs that you can chuck into a drill motor - I think these are best. You should find them in the same area as the sanding belts, probably in the Tool Corral...

Just take your time so you dont damage the surface. Do you have a razor blade type scrapper, that is what I use. Also make sure nothing falls down into the block. I have heard of something you spray on it to soften the old gasket material but nerver tried it. I just scrap and drink a beer and scrap some more untill its all gone. Good luck!

Gouging the block is what I'm afraid of. How can I tell when I gouging the blovk and not just scraping off gasket.

Here's a trick I learned from an older mechanic while working on buses at MUNI. Use a small ball peen hammer and rap/peen the surface of the gasket a few times. Those hard fibre gaskets respond to that trick and will usually peel right off. The secret of no leaks is to have that surface free of any residual gasket material. Get some of that permatex gasket cutter spray at your local Kragen's as previously recommended. While at Kragen's pick up some permatex gasket conditioner spray. It is a bright red spray. Hang the gaskets on a hanger and spray them liberally both sides, let them air dry until tacky and then install.

BUT Make sure all old gasket material is off the sealing surfaces before re-installing. I sometimes wipe the surfaces with a rag dipped in acetone or brakleen.

Good luck,
Tom

cjben said:
same stuff I use. spray it on,wait 10-15 minutes while enjoying an adult beverage or do something else on the jeep. repeat as necessary. if the gasket is really stubborn,a wire brush on a drill works wonders!!

I use that product as well. Its pretty nasty stuff if you get it on you but it does remove gasket material well. It will remove RTV, cork or paper gasket. Well, it doesnt really "remove" RTV but it does loosen it.

I've used various gasket remover sprays, most are caustic (will burn your skin) many smell like Touline (sp?) which will make you dizzy.
I have a selection of wood chisels, sharp, handle designed for good control and can be sharpened razor sharp. For old really hard gaskets, a scrapper or putty knife is often a too flexible for good control.
Acetone usually works well to soften old gaskets some. Scotch rite and a little acetone works well for the last few flecks of gasket material. I sometimes use a little carb cleaner also.

when i replaced my value cover gasket i used a putty knife to scrap the old gasket off while holding my shop vac. hose in the other hand. that way i made sure none of the old gasket got into my engine. worked great.

kdailey4315 said:
Gouging the block is what I'm afraid of. How can I tell when I gouging the blovk and not just scraping off gasket.

if you have to ask, then you haven't gouged it yet. LOL

i use razor blades or a drill/angle grinder with a scotch brite type pad. as long as you don't apply to much pressure and keep it level, it leaves a very nice clean work surface ready for the new gasket.

Back