• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C CLutch?

stevens157

NAXJA Forum User
My ac wasn't cooling at all so I recharged the system and all is well. Pressures are within limits. Now this morning it was still getting cold but it has been making a lot of noise and now a burning smell. I am assuming that the clutch is bad. How do you tell if the compresser went bad ruining the clutch or if it is just the clutch? Is there a way to bypass the ac compressor with the belt until I find a new clutch?

Thanks
Mike

Generally the clutch does no harm to the pump. You can either have clutch coil burn up (which is why the smell) or the bearing go bad. Sometime the clutch just melts the insulation and keeps working for awhile, othertimes it is short lived.

There is no bypass on the clutch. You can change the clutch if you have the right tools and that depends entirely on the pump model and mfg. Some models require a special puller that nobody seems to have (costs an arm and a leg to buy the kit), other uses snap rings and normal pullers.

The clutch can be in the range of $100-$200. They can be changed on the vehicle without discharging the A/C but takes a bit of ingeniuty to get it secured to work on.

All of this is why most people shell out the $400 plus for a complete pump done by someone else as usually if the clutch is going, it is considered that the pump may not be far behind.

I've mucked with these with a varying degree of success. Good luck.

OK So i need a new compressor. If I am going to tear everything apart then I think I need a new thermistor. The evaporator will freeze up if I run the air on high for too long. Any one know where it is for sure? IT is a 97 Sport.

Mike

If your high and low pressures are OK then most likely the freeze up is because the system is over charged.
A over charged system will also burn up the clutch

did you replace the clutch yet? i am sizing up a clutch replacement also and am wondering how involved of a job it is?

replaced compressor, acummulator and fixed orifice tube. Now evaporator is leaking (My fault). SO i have the dash torn down and am waiting for parts. All in all it hasn't been that bad.

Back