• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L timing chain doesnt fit!!!

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
we are repalcing the timing chain on a customers 94 XJ and the new timing set we got from Advance isnt an exact fit. the center hole on the cam gear is too large, by close to 1/4"... we looked at 2 different sets at Advance for 93 and 94 and the ID is just too big.... as far as we know its an OEM set with 170K miles... the part # on the original gear is 53020445 , 37101c. and does not match the one from Advance. that part # comes up on Google as a 93 - 96 4.0L cam gear.
anyone ever run into this?? we ordered another set from advance to see if it might have been mis-pakaged and they also list the gear individually under the OEM # but thats a 4 day delivery...

any info wouild be a great help.

Man, the Advance online system is wacky. Under the catagory "Timing Crank Gear", they list three cam sprockets, at least that's what they are saying, including this:
Part No.
S808T Cloyes Cam Gear
Cam Gear: 48T; Replaces OE# 53020445; WRANGLER, CHEROKEE, BRIARWOOD, COMANCHE; 4.0(242)

But, they also list this:
Part No.
S822T Cloyes Cam Gear
Cam Gear: 48T; Replaces OE# 53010400; WRANGLER, CHEROKEE, BRIARWOOD, COMANCHE; 4.0(242)

Under "Timing Cam Gear" They have a pic of a crank sprocket....

You indicated that you looked at an 93 and 94 timing set from advanced, and although you indicted that neither one worked, you did not indicated if what you saw, 93 and 94, were different from each other (leading to you theory of boxed wrong) I did some pokeing around. The Hi-Tech Website has pdf's of their catalogs. (getting a parts-monkey to look at a catalog is like pulling teeth) All I could get looking at the pdf's is the fact that the set for 93 and the set for 94 are different. {http://www.hi-techengine.com/images/catalogs/section1.pdf ;page 854 of the pdf}

If it gets down to counting teeth and links {http://www.hi-techengine.com/images/catalogs/section3.pdf ; page 76, 77 of the pdf}

Even if they don't have hi-tech in stock they should have a paper parts catalog on the store for sa gear or clevite or whatever brand. The info in the computer is only as good at the person who entered the data.

Also try and have them cross reference the hi-tech number for the set, instead of just the OEM number of the gear. You'd be surprise what shows up in a cross reference that doesn't show up under application look up. All of a sudden parts that were NYA (not yet available) are sitting on the shelf :p
Good luck.

My data base says 91 / PN 3300 2978, 92-93 / PN 3300 2979, 94-96 / PN 5302 0445. So the 93-96 Google result doesn't make much sense.
Is it possible the replacement set is delivered with a bushing, for a multi year (series) fit?
More likely one of those data base screw ups that happen periodically and never seem to get fixed.
My Crown supplier lists the gears and chain *set* 87-96 so there may be an adapter bushing involved.
The Crown Catalog was interesting-
6886q0m.png

Last edited:
the other chains we looked at were both too large ID but the gear itself is the same as far as teeth... i had thought that there might be a bushing but there wasnt anything in the kit.. i think the kids plan has changed so we might not even use this engine but i still want to sort this out..

the other chains we looked at were both too large ID but the gear itself is the same as far as teeth... i had thought that there might be a bushing but there wasnt anything in the kit.. i think the kids plan has changed so we might not even use this engine but i still want to sort this out..

Well a '93 cam gear should have 36 teeth and a '94 cam gear should have 48. If both sets are showing the gear with the same amount of teeth, then I would be looking at a different brand, or different store. I don't know where in W.MA you are exactly, the Napa in Northampton might be a good place to call or D&D Auto Parts in Easthampton. Dick, down at D&D is an old timer who knows his stuff.

Back