• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me figure out what is on this XJ I just bought!

irish44j

NAXJA Forum User
Hey people,
I just picked up a 1990 XJ 2-door to use as a utility vehicle (home depot runs, occaional snow use, etc). I will say right off that I know next to nothing about Jeeps or SUVs in general, though I am very mechanically inclined and race (yeah, race) a Nissan Maxima (heavily modded) and rebuilt classic British sportscars.

So I'm out of my league here.

The previous owner of the XJ was a girl who just had it to get around in the snow, so she didn't know much about it (she had it for 2 years and drove it 2,000 miles). But from the looks of the numerous rocker switches and wires going to dead-ends everywhere, I have determined that at some point in its life, this XJ had a bunch of foglights/floods, a winch, and it still has an old CB in it....so I suspect it did some off-roading, or at least serious posing.

I really have no plans to "mod" this XJ at this time, as I have other projects going on right now....Again, this is not going to be a daily driver or anything, just occasional weekend use.

What I can SEE:
- Rancho shocks up front
- Rancho steering stabilizer (?)
- Lift blocks on the back leafs that are 2" high
- Lift spacer above the front coil springs that are 2" high
- Some other suspension stuff that doens't look stock
- Don't know wheel offset offhand, but the tires are 32x10.5" BFG's
- There are signs of rubbing alot in the front, as the inner fender flares are kind of torn up - though I haven't experienced any rubbing in the week I've owned it.

What I don't know:
- is this a crappy setup?
- if I were to find some smaller tires, could I just drop it down to stock height by removing the blocks/spacers?
- anyone local have some nice, say, 30x9.5s on wheels that would fit this at stock height and would be interested in a trade for my wheels/tires?

I'd like it to have good offroad capability and look "tough" (yes, I'm a poser), but i really don't need these 32's and a lift, honestly.

Thoughts? opinions?

Here are some pics:

random005.jpg

random010.jpg

random009.jpg

random008.jpg

random012.jpg

random011.jpg

The rear looks to be more than 2 inches of lift, but I can;t tell if those are lift springs or if there is an add-a-leaf. Those might be air shocks back there. Check for air nozzles on them.

The rubbing is probably from off-roading and you can probably stop or limit it my adding the correct bumpstop length to it (probably 2 inches).

You can remove the spacers and blocks, but you might have to change the shocks out to shorter ones.

Gaius said:
The rear looks to be more than 2 inches of lift, but I can;t tell if those are lift springs or if there is an add-a-leaf. Those might be air shocks back there. Check for air nozzles on them.

The rubbing is probably from off-roading and you can probably stop or limit it my adding the correct bumpstop length to it (probably 2 inches).

You can remove the spacers and blocks, but you might have to change the shocks out to shorter ones.

thanks. the previous owner said that the lift was 3" all around, but I haven't figured out where the extra 1" would come from, unless she is including the added tire height. I'll check the rear shocks in the daylight tomorow!

Let me ask you this: is there any problem with using this setup for general use? A buddy who is a "Jeep Guy" said that I should "get rid of the blocks and spacers" and buy longer springs, uprated leafs, etc...but he's a bit of a high-end guy and can't comprehend me not wanting to spend much money, lol.

I'm not really looking to spend much money on this XJ right now, so if the current setup is SAFE and RELIABLE for occasional use, I'd just as well leave it this way.....

My other project is going to be taking the bulk of my time and car money ;)

WendysWeddingandGT6returnshome038.jpg

ditch the blocks.

You'll have no problems at all for an all-around vehicle.

Blocks increase the leverage on the springs some, and may decrease the life of it a little. You can always tell a spring is getting worn out by it getting an "S" shape to it.

But...3 inch packs from Rustys are only like $250.00 or something if/when they do wear out.

The 'other stuff' is the sway bar disconnects. If you are planning to go back to stock height you'll need to chop them down a little bit. The wheels look like they have beadlocks but it might be the fake ones.

here's a different angle on the rear, in case it helps..

random.jpg

lancey3 said:
ditch the blocks.

why do you say that (seriously)? Are they unsafe to have for a XJ that will just see street, snow, and maybe some light-duty offroading?

the wheels are fake beadlocks, I'm pretty sure....but they do look nice IMO.

Gaius - I'll probably put 2k-3k miles a year at most, so not too concerned with that, but will keep it in mind.

btw, the vehicle has 160k miles on it for what it's worth.

irish44j said:
why do you say that (seriously)? Are they unsafe to have for a XJ that will just see street, snow, and maybe some light-duty offroading?

the wheels are fake beadlocks, I'm pretty sure....but they do look nice IMO.

Gaius - I'll probably put 2k-3k miles a year at most, so not too concerned with that, but will keep it in mind.

btw, the vehicle has 160k miles on it for what it's worth.
Block increase axle wrap. if you're just looking to run 30s then you don't need a lift anyway. why risk it?

If you really like the lifted look just get a 2 inch shackle; keep the spacer up front.

lancey3 said:
Block increase axle wrap. if he's just looking to run 30s the he doesn't need a lift anyway. why risk it?

I'm running the 32s unless I find someone who wants to swap tires/wheels with me :)

what is "axle wrap?" From an engineering point of view (I'm an engineer) I don't see how the blocks put a huge amount of additional torsional stress on the springs, but perhaps I'm not looking at the right thing.

gaius said:
I'd run her like she is, and get some proper liftblocks if you are going to disconnect the sway bars. :)

I don't see me disconnecting the sway bars :) What is the difference between a "proper liftblock" and the block that are on there?

by the way, appreciate you gents putting up with the n00b questions. I'm an OG on some other boards and I know it always annoys me when other people do this :dunno:

airshocks? lol..... what makes you say such foolish things?
as if someone who uses blocks is suddenly gonna go advanced fab, and throw on airshocks....

irish44j said:
I don't see me disconnecting the sway bars :) What is the difference between a "proper liftblock" and the block that are on there?

I meant bumpstop ( edited it). Sorry about that.

Last edited:
xcm said:
airshocks? lol..... what makes you say such foolish things?
as if someone who uses blocks is suddenly gonna go advanced fab, and throw on airshocks....

Air shock...advanced fab? Buwahahaha!

You muct be too young to remember....

lancey3 said:
If you really like the lifted look just get a 2 inch shackle; keep the spacer up front.

With the back sitting up higher than the front, I was thinking about just getting some 1/2" or 1" blocks in the back and pulling out that 2" block, just to drop it down a bit. Should I go with a 1" shackle instead?

xcm said:
in that case, i apoligize for being an ass!

1st step, remove that goddamn front fascia....

lol, what's wrong with the front fascia - you don't like the old-school fake-chrome look?

I was thinking about just painting it all with some black POR-15 I have out in my shop!

i actually mean that NASTY peice of plastic below the front bumper....
its kinda a pet peive of mine, soooo damn ugly....

btw, i wouldnt touch that thing, i assume you got it dirt cheap.

people on here are very anti-blocks(rear blocks), and for a good reason (it will wrap your leaf springs), however, id rock that till it started to sag, then just get junkyard leafs to replace them (OR if you find yourself driving it more then you thought, you could allways do bastard rear leaf springs.... which is gonna be beyond your interest right now.....

anyway, taking the lift out will probably require you to find some OEM suspension parts.... but the question becomes why are you wanting to remove the lift? because of the rubbing?

Back