• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 price?

jrwood

NAXJA Forum User
i was shopping around a bit and found a 8.8 with disc brakes, 3.73 gears and a limited slip. would paying 250 dollars be too much for this? its going to go in an 89 xj. thanks for any feedback in advance

jrwood said:
i was shopping around a bit and found a 8.8 with disc brakes, 3.73 gears and a limited slip. would paying 250 dollars be too much for this? its going to go in an 89 xj. thanks for any feedback in advance

nope thats a good fair price for one with disk brakes, especially if the brakes are good and dont need replacement.

check: http://car-part.com/

for a good idea of whats out there locally near you at the junk yards. Ofcourse if there is a pick n pull near you go there, they never have an 8.8 with disk brakes near me though, or even drums are usually torn down.

felt nice, did a search for ya check this page out http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search....=price&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=2

those are searched the state of OR. do call the yards that say call, i have gotten good cores 4l60e trannys for $75-$100 by calling. that page has lots of your spec 8.8 in the $250-$320 range.

Last edited:
I feel 250 is reasonable. I see them anywhere from 200-300. Yet I did get mine exactly like yours for 160. Its all in finding someone that doesn't know what they have. Don't forget you can find them open with 410 gears. Perfect to put a lock rite in and be done.

I'll agree, $250 is pretty fair. I picked one up on Monday for $100 with 3.73, LSD, disc brakes, and I'm telling EVERYONE because it was such a sweet deal.

Speaking of 'finding someone that doesn't know what they have.' I've got a buddy that went to a pick and pull and bought a HP60 for $150 because the yard didn't know it was such a prized axle.

to me thats a fantastic deal.
up here the local guys want $800... seriously $800 for an 8.8
Heck even a D30 goes for $750.
Couldn't believe it when I called around for one of each, instead of re-gearing... I went with the gears.

jrwood said:

No, 250 is a good price for The Northwest. They generally go for 350-450 around here.
-Ryan

thanks for all the replys, i will be picking one up here soon it sounds like. i was searching for the 4.10 geared 8.8 but they seem to pretty hard to find, but i can find the 3.73 geared 8.8's everywhere. now the question is anyone have a 3.73 R&P with carrier for a d30 i can pick up pretty cheap?

4.10s for not much more, much cheaper than a regear.

Rear Axle
Ford Explorer -6 CYL, 4.10L-79K B71110 $357.74 LKQ Brads Auto and Truck Parts USA-OR(Redmond) Request_Quote 1-541-923-2723 Request_Insurance_Quote

Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 2-97,4.0L,C-ATOD,4X4 ,LOCKING 6746 $Call Dallas Auto Wrecking USA-OR(Dallas) E-mail 1-800-321-1125
Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 4.10,NON LOCKING,8.8 RG, 100,000 A 5462 $Call North Verde Auto Salvage USA-OR(Ontario) Request_Quote 800-772-1648 Request_Insurance_Quote
Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 1-96,4.0L,AOD,LOCKIN G S615B 130,000 A 7155 $Call North Verde Auto Salvage USA-OR(Ontario) Request_Quote 800-772-1648 Request_Insurance_Quote
Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 4.10 RATIO 35,000 A 5440 $Call North Verde Auto Salvage USA-OR(Ontario) Request_Quote 800-772-1648 Request_Insurance_Quote

Rear Axle
Ford Explorer 4DR,AT,4.0EFI 105,000 A 10FX99 $550 Rose Auto Wrecking, Inc. USA-OR(Portland) E-mail 1-800-452-0760

yep, i found a 1998 8.8 disc rear-end with 4.10 open for $175.00!!! i should be picking that up on tuesday! thanks for all the info and links!:clap:

Were lucky out here in So Cal. The PAP I usually hit always has tons of them and they go for about $100---------Hans

250 is a good deal, i got mine for 100 bucks, but the brakes were shot, i had to drop 260 bucks on new backing plates, rotors, calipers, and pads

so 250 is a good deal

from what i have searched on the 8.8 is the open diff is preffered to the "posi" because the open diff carrier will accept an aftermarket locker in it later. the "posi" carrier will have to be changed to the open style carrier to install a locker in it.

jrwood said:
from what i have searched on the 8.8 is the open diff is preffered to the "posi" because the open diff carrier will accept an aftermarket locker in it later. the "posi" carrier will have to be changed to the open style carrier to install a locker in it.
or you just put in a full carrier replacement locker like a detroit or ARB.

I got a killer buy on a trailer full of 8.8 axles. There was a salvage yard owned by two brothers and they got into a fight and decided to sell out at discount value and everything that did not sell went for pennies on the dollar before the crusher showed up. We gave $50 each for them and we had to pull them. My buddy owns a welding/repair shop and we took his service truck to the yard and used his torch and hoist and pulled axles all day long. We had to rob a few parts from some of the axles to make the better ones complete b/c some were missing either a caliper or rotor, but all in all we made a good haul. I sold all except two of them for $250 on up. I kept the last 2 that had 4.10's in them for any future projects b/c I can not repleace them for what I have in them. They are great axles for an upgrade plus getting the benefit of the disc brakes.

Just get a phone book, take some time, and call all of them 1 by 1.........

Thats what I did............

I got a 8.8 with disk, 4.10, and a Posi out of a 98 explorer for $160

the price will vary up and down from local places ($350-$100)

Trust me..............you will find 1

jrwood said:
Not true. From the Powertrax website :): http://powertrax.com/fordtruckns.pdf ---------Hans

Back