• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Block heater? Your thoughts.......

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of getting a block heater in my 1990 XJ. l live in Oregon, where it is cold, and want to get opinions from those that actually have them.
I have 258k on the Jeep, and thought the idea of a warm motor on those five degree mornings, might make the engine last longer........

Thanks in advance,
Bob

my '96 came with one from the factory, i plugged it in once-just to see if it worked. it warms the motor up pretty damn quick, though there's not really much use for it in san diego...

I lived in Alaska for 12 years where they were mandatory. I don't think you'd see any benifit from one in Oregon. If it's not cold enough you can fry the heater...or worse. You really need subzero temps to keep the heater in check if you know what I mean. They get VERY hot.

I don't bother with heaters for 'gassers' here in Vermont unless the vehicle already has one, but on other vehicles I've never had problems, nor has it ever resulted in overheating, boiling off or anything like that. They do get good and hot, but when installed right they shouldn't cause harm even if you run them on a moderate day.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but if you have a short commute or don't like freezing your toes off for the first 5 miles, it's a reasonable option.

Blaine B. said:
Dunno, my uncle used one in his old Chevy Van 20 in central Indiana. Never had issues.

You needed one in those vans if you lived in the midwest! Our '78 was always a problem in the winter so Dad had one factory installed on our '87 when it was ordered. Did his have the sliding doors that froze shut if it got too cold out too?

Dad put one in his '90 XJ with over 270k a couple years back so it didn't take so long to warm up in the morning when he and Mom went somewhere in it. Now that they have the Town & Country the only time he uses the block heater is if it's going to be really cold on the 3 days a week she drives the truck to work.

I have one on my 99. If someone can tell me how to take it off you can have it. Just pay for shipping. I have no use for it when it never gets colder than 40

On the heater should be a nut or wing nut. You should be able to unplug the power cord to get at it. Keep in mind coolant will come spilling out. You will need a freeze plug for that hole. They are a PITA to get at also. Ask me how I know.

Some heaters have a -controller and will never over heat the systems. But often they just don't put out much heat and can't over heat the engine.
I have put them on a timer to kick in 2 hours before leaving for work. No need to let them run all night in most cases. Plus you can plug them into the lights. If you get up early just flip them on then go have your coffee. It has worked for me
Ohio winters have gotten wissy so I don't use them now.

Just adding to the above, a properly installed engine heater will not overheat the engine, because once it starts the coolant circulating, if it gets hot enough, the thermostat will open and the radiator will cool it.

in minnesota where it gets sub-zero temps sometimes, i've never had a problem with out one. I would like to get one just so it heats up quicker, but i don't think it's manditory. i've got 1000 cca battery (optima so if it goes dead, it's not completely shot) and a good (but getting weak (we'll see how good it still is this winter)) starter. fires right up every morning no problems.

bjoehandley said:
You needed one in those vans if you lived in the midwest! Our '78 was always a problem in the winter so Dad had one factory installed on our '87 when it was ordered. Did his have the sliding doors that froze shut if it got too cold out too?

No, it had the double doors on the passenger side (one larger, one smaller)

They had 3 of those vans........all at once, too. Different years. They still have the newest one which isn't that new anymore. And about 3 other cars.

Back