• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake troubles

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping a 1996 D30 for a 1987 D30 and it appears that the 96 has SAE and the 87 has metric. Is there a way to make this work (an adapter)? If not, can I just take the calipers off the 96 axle and put them on the 87 axle using the pads and everything from the 87 but just the calipers from the 96?

I'm hoping to get this resolved by tomorrow, so thank you to anyone that can help me out.

Jason

Hopefully someone on here knows this. It would be nice to know tomorrow whether I'm swapping brakes or getting a fitting. I'm hoping it will just be a fitting that I need. Didn't expect this problem, and I can't really have my Jeep immobile for too long.

Thanks,
Jason

What parts do you think is SAE vs metric?

The rotors and unit bearings need to be from the same axle.

The knuckle, caliper and pads need to be from the same axle.

brackets, mounting and callipers are different from 80s - 91ish.

you can pull the knuckles off the 96 and put them on the 87. the 96 has a better setup anyway.

My plan was to go with ZJ knuckles and brakes in the future, so if Napa has adapters then I think I will go that route for now. Then I can get stuff upgraded as time goes on and as money is saved.

Cal, The stainless lines coming from the 87 calipers are metric and the 96 is SAE.

Back