• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb ?

sWissfoo

NAXJA Forum User
i just want to make sure royal purples atf is ok for for my 97 xj country? its red like the old atf fuild i put in it..

it is said no synthetics in the AW4, but some run it and have no problems.

If it is already there I would leave it, but if not just get Dex 3.

I think the whole system holds about 2 gallons. but the torque converter holds about half that does not come out when you drain the pan. If you are just draining and refilling it is about 3.5-4 quarts. If you overfill it will just come out when the dipstick tube meets the pan and leave residue all over the rear window until it gets to the correct level.

Yes, you can use Royal Purple in your tranny.

It meets the Dex III requirement.

The issues people have been having been when mixing the fluid types on very worn, neglected transmissions.

Complete change is 8.5 quarts, service change is 4.0 quarts.

all i did was take apart the tc. i didnt drain the trans, at 50,000 miles i had the trans cover droped and drained and screen cleaned, and near 70,000 i had it flushed. i put in the new slip yoke kit and i put like three quarts in, and noticed that some drained out near the dipstick. the fluid that came out of the tc looked brand new, which makes me happy. the only reason i had the trans fluid replaced so much is becuase i beat the shit out of it when i offroad, and i get a hook up. i just like to take care of my toys. now since it dripped out near the dipstick does that mean i over filled it? i was told that if u un-srcew the hex nut on the back of the tc, the top one, that if its at that level ur ok. i tried takin it off, but i couldnt, i dont want to brake it.

The nut at the top of the T-case is for the fluid in the T-case. If it is up to the bottom of that nut, then you are full in the T-case. Its a 30mm nut and if it hasn't been opened in awhile, it is usually TIGHT. I always use Synthetic Tranny fluid in my T-cases.

You said tranny fluid is dripping out around the dipstick on the tranny? Is it coming out around the bottom of the dipstick, or out the top of the dipstick and running down?

To check your fluid level in the tranny, warm your Jeep up(take it for a good drive, and get it good warmed up, around 20 minutes or so). Put the Jeep in park, shift it through all the gears, and back into park. With the Jeep running and the tranny in park, check the dipstick.

Back