• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM steering Interchangable?

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Is the OEM tie rod/ drag link interchangable in all model year XJ's?
Any difference in steering components b/t Low pinion and High pinion dana 30's? Thanks.

when the HO motor came out in the xj they did beef up the drag link and TRE's i think. I know for a fact that the drag link is beefier on the HO's, but i think the taper on the TRE that goes into the pitman arm is the same, so as long as you get all the same parts it will swap in. my buddy had an 89 that we did this to. you can't put an HO TRE on a non HO drag link, but you can put both the HO TRE and drag link in. Tie rod i don't think makes a difference, but if you're working with a non-HO jeep and replacing steering, might as well replace all of it with the HO stuff since its beefier.

muddygp said:
when the HO motor came out in the xj they did beef up the drag link and TRE's i think. I know for a fact that the drag link is beefier on the HO's, but i think the taper on the TRE that goes into the pitman arm is the same, so as long as you get all the same parts it will swap in. my buddy had an 89 that we did this to. you can't put an HO TRE on a non HO drag link, but you can put both the HO TRE and drag link in. Tie rod i don't think makes a difference, but if you're working with a non-HO jeep and replacing steering, might as well replace all of it with the HO stuff since its beefier.

first ive heard of this.

anyway, i did the zj upgrade on my 89 and it is alot "beefier" than the oem setup.

Back