• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Air conditioning question

RD93Chry8.25

NAXJA Forum User
So I have done my fair share of installing lift kits on XJs and other Jeeps as well as transfer case rebuilding, truck rewiring. I have also done a bit of fabrication, welding bumpers skid plates, axle repair and upgrade, and trail repairs and I fancy myself as pretty good with a wrench, hammer, welder, pry bar soldering gun, etc. you name it. I also am interested in a 1992 comanche which I think does not have A/C.

So my question is how hard is it to add A/C to a truck like this? I am not really very knowledgeable about A/C having never worked on any before, but I am willing to learn because I like being cool in the summer. I know I will need parts off of another 4.0L HO like the compressor, lines condenser etc. Does anyone have any insight. what kind of wiring is necessary? Do I need a new harness? Is this easy or a nightmare I should avoid? thanks for your help.

I added a/c to a 82 Blazer full size that I had purchased at a military auction. Keep in mind it is best to have the donor vehicle there side by side along with any wiring diagrams. Can it be done? yes. Is it a Pain In The Arss? You bet. By disassembling the wire harnesses alone I had 6 hours in it. :anon:

xalexjx said:
I personally wouldnt do it, Make your doors removable or roll down the windows.

I need to toughen up, if I were building it for a trail rig it would be no problem, but I want it for a DD and an occasional trail runner :).

thanks a lot for the info though.

Back