• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble with EGR Solenoid

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 XJ 4.0L automatic, and it's having some problems related to the EGR solenoid. If the solenoid is plugged in, it won't run. It starts and dies. If the solenoid is unplugged, I starts right up. I'm a little low on power and it's missing at little at idle and bucks a bit while driving at low or high speeds. So should I buy a new EGR solenoid, or could it be something else causing the problem. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks!

Sorry for the repost, but I don't want to run out and buy a new solenoid just yet. I found someone else having the same issues on a GM. We're having the exact same problems. He replaced the solenoid, just like you would think to do, and no change. So, I was just hoping someone out there in Jeep land has had the same problem, figured it out, and they might see this post. There has to be someone out there who's had the same issues. I can't be the only one. I guess if no one knows, then I'll just have to try it. Maybe it is the solenoid.

Where can I buy a EGR Solenoid? Nobody seems to have them, only the EGR Valves.

Kreutz said:
I have a '90 XJ 4.0L automatic, and it's having some problems related to the EGR solenoid. If the solenoid is plugged in, it won't run. It starts and dies. If the solenoid is unplugged, I starts right up. I'm a little low on power and it's missing at little at idle and bucks a bit while driving at low or high speeds. So should I buy a new EGR solenoid, or could it be something else causing the problem. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks!

The egr valve should be closed at idle otherwise poor idle etc. It is opened by engine vacuum from the solenoid. According to my FSM for an 89 4.0 vacuum only flows through the solenoid when energized (connected and voltage applied). Vacuum into the solenoid from engine should be about 15 inches mercury and output should be zero when solenoid is not engerized (elect disconnected). If vacuum is present suspect solenoid or ecu input signal or connector. If this is problem try banging on side of solenoid with a small wrench to see if it is stuck open (was on mine so I replaced it - dealer only item). Good Luck. Greg

Last edited:
Back