• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DetoursUSA

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are 8 billion rear bumper threads on here. But....I still have a few questions. I am stuck between two. I know everyone supports rigidco, but I was thinking about Detours XJ slimline bumper with tire carrier. I have heard good stuff about Detours, quality and price look to be good.

Does anyone have experience with the Detours bumper and tire carrier on their own rigs? How strong is it? How is the quarter protection? Are there any rattles, does the carrier seem to sag at all, closed or open? Can it be modified to hold a Hi-lift too?

Any help would be great. I have searched. Thanks for the help guys.

I have the Detours slimline bumper and carrier and really like it a lot. No squeaks no sag and very stout. The only thing I think it needs is better support for the tire carrier.If you are putting a 35" tire on the carrier it wobbles if you hit a bump just right on at highway speeds, but other than that it is a great set up for the price.

Bumper004.jpg
[/IMG]

yeah, i know they make great products. anybody know if they could make a custom hi-lift mount for it? or has anybody made one themselves?

Give Mark a call. He will tell what can be done or not. He has reasons for not having the mounts, I just don't remember.

I have had my Detours bumper for over 3 years and it has seen some abuse. It has held up great! The install was straight forward. The tire carrier does get a little high speed wobble on the freeway, but nothing bad.

I have slammed down on rocks and bumped trees with no damage to the bumper. I was able to bend the lower quarter panel guard on the very edge, but it is not very noticable.

When I was in the market, I was torn between Rigid and Detours. I have a Rigid front and Detours rear. Both bumpers are top notch quality. I am glad I did not get the Rigid rear only because of the way the carrier mounts to the bumper. Great idea and folks love it, but just not my personal choice.

If/when I build a second XJ, I will run a Detours rear with carrier.

Here are a few pics:

photo74.jpg

PICT0179.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Good Luck!

thanks man. i think you may have just sold me. you should ask mark for commision. I appreciate the help.

I will let yall know when i finally get it, install, and post some pics up.

mundur5 said:
thanks man. i think you may have just sold me. you should ask mark for commision. I appreciate the help.

I will let yall know when i finally get it, install, and post some pics up.

No problem!

I think that telling others about good or bad products is one of the best things we can do to help each other out.

As for Mark and commission, none needed. He is a great guy that provided awesome customer service. He was patient with me and answered all of my questions.

One thing to note is rigidco has changed the way the tire carrier mounts now and I like the fact you can order the regular bumper and later add the carrier. If you need a carrier now then its a mute point.

alexer03 said:
i cant find the rear bumper on the rigidco website. is their a different site?
rigids website is a little dated.
Might want to email him or call him.

mundur5 said:
anybody know anything about detours. I know he said he would be "hopefully" back up and running the 1st.

Has anyone heard anything.

I'd give him a few more days, then try calling him. It may have taken a little longer to get moved, settled, and business established at his new location.

Mark is a great guy and is usually very quick with replying to email or messages....

Mark is great to talk to and very thorough in his design and building, I knew he was moving didn't know when. Not to worry he is very responsive and will get it to you quickly!

Yeah, give Mark a little time. He is well worth the wait. I have one of his bumpers on my Rubicon for the past 4 years and it has taken alot of abuse. I would recommend him for any fab work.

As far as the Highlift on the carrier, he did it for me but with a little resistance. It adds alot of weight to the carrier and he was right. The carrier is holding up extreemly well. The thing closes the same as the day I installed it! NO SAG, even with the highlift! The only trouble I have with the Highlift being on the back is I live in the Northeast and the salt and crap gets to it and I have to rebuild and paint it every year. The Highlift I have in the XJ is nice and clean and INSIDE the cab!

Go with Mark!

Back