• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount a 33" spare

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently upgraded to 33" tyres and I just thought I'll check where everyone puts their spare. Naturally if you have a bumper with tyre carrier it'll go there, but what if you don't? My 31" spare used to go in the stock position, I just deflated it and allways carried my tyre compressor with me. The 33 fits between bottom and roof in that position, but there is not enough space between the rear seat back and the door. It can go flat in the back, but it's a hassle as it takes up a lot of space where shopping bags and stuff go (its a DD!). Currently I have it standing upright towards the left strapped against the floor and the seat back - similar to the way it would sit in a tyre carrier on the outside, but just in the inside against the seat back.

01112007212.jpg

Roof rack....

JNickel101 said:
Roof rack....

Makes your XJ even more top heavy, easy to steal unless you're using cables & locks, and oh yeah..the first time you forget it's on top and pull into your garage..............:explosion

I'd mount it on the rack only if I had to for wheeling. Bite the bullet and drop some $$$ for a bumper with a carrier.

Lay if flat on the floor and build a plywood platforn to cover it . there will be room for other things under the platform the platform can be straped down and carpeted for looks and safety

That is exactly what I was thinking of suggesting...in fact I was busy typing when your post came through! Something to this effect, but just stretching through to where the stock spare is and it'll probably be a bit higher to accommodate a 12.50" wide tyre.

attachment.php

Here's a similar setup from Eric's site:
spike2.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a chainsaw :scared: ? Good lord man, what kind of wheeling do you do...lol...???

I like the platform idea. In fact, I am building one for mine right now. Well, not RIGHT now, but you know what I mean.

Ahh, that give one an excellent idea of how high the platform would need to be. I'm intrigued by your onboard air cylinder....do you have more info on that - is it linked to a compressor, or do you fill it at a gas station?

I layed a aluminium plate over a 34x10.50x15 spare like in the rack above. Under the tire gets Carharts and a rain coat and coiled on top fit the jumper cables to save some more space. Tool box can slide right next to the spare and then you have a whole shelf for your cooler and gear. If you see a tube style bunk bed thats been popular for a few years in the trash then grab it for the same as above or a roof rack.

gorman said:
Ahh, that give one an excellent idea of how high the platform would need to be. I'm intrigued by your onboard air cylinder....do you have more info on that - is it linked to a compressor, or do you fill it at a gas station?

Well, the height of the platform would obviously depend on how wide your tires are. It looks like there is a line running to it???

BruceB83 said:
Is that a chainsaw :scared: ? Good lord man, what kind of wheeling do you do...lol...???

Apparently you've never wheeled in the northwest. Downed trees are a very common occurance. But I don't take it on every run.

gorman said:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it is filled with my AC compressor that is converted to OBA. I have a port on the tank, and one under the hood.

Back