• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who plows with their XJ

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
thinking of putting a plow on th xj for doing a parking lot or 2. we plow prolly 5 times a year maybe once heavy 6" just curious how they do?
ill have 31 mtr's an re 3.5 full pack by then..

I plowed with an 87 MJ many years back. They do Ok. Although the Xj is heavier in weight you cannot beat a fullsize truck for plowing just because things are built a little heavier. You will need to get spacers or stronger coils in the front if you run a full metal plow. Plan on flushing the trans often and plan on front axle u-joints to tear up. I'd suggest not using the XJ for plowing large lots. Personal use fine but not as a business truck plowing retail lots The unibody just does not take the pounding very well. The Mj is R.I.P. due to plowing for the 9 years of it's life.

thakns for the info.
i have a superduty that handles plowing duty now and figured if i could get by with the xj i would use it. but sounds like ill just use the 250. thakns

you cannot beat a fullsize truck for plowing just because things are built a little heavier

i think that is a huge understatement! lol a full size truck is more than a "little heavier"!

Dont plow with an xj. buy a plow truck.

the reason i say this is because, one, i will laugh at you if you have a plow strapped on the front of your jeep, and two, i will laugh at the fact that you have to run one of those plastic plows ( the steel ones are way way way way way too heavy to put on the front of an xj. the front end wants to dip down with my fat ass buddy sitting on the bumper, much less a 400 lb plow assembly).

plowing beats the living shit out of vehicles. i plowed with my full size chebby for 6 years, it lead to a busted trans, blown PS pump, needed head work, about 20 break jobs from salt getting in and eating up the seals on the rear axle, and not to mention the front end work that was done on it.

i think the truck was in my shop more than in the lots plowing snow.

I use my 00 XJ to plow a couple of driveways. The XJ has a Sno-Way poly plow with down pressure. The poly plow is very light weight, but the down pressure more than makes up for it. It cleans up much better than my FS GMC pickup with heavy Diamond plow. I would say the XJ should be limited to light duty plowing. A parking lot may be to much to plow against. I use studded snow tires in the winter for best traction.

If I read your description correctly you have a 3.5 lift. Most truck side plow frames aren't set up for much of a lift. It will change the plow angle too much.

Check out this site for lots on plowing: http://www.plowsite.com There is a forum for Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, Dodge, and all of the plow manufacturers. A great snow plowing resource.

Fran

My nieghbor owns a landscapeing buisness and plows with his trucks in the winter and even with our mild winters here he tears up stuff on his 1 ton fords and chevys all of the time.

If they are not heavy enough, I know a XJ isn't.

Now if you were just plowing your own driveway a couple of times a year it would be OK most likely.

I ran a western lsx 7 ft 2in plow for 4 seasons on my 2000 xj. The xj has 5 inches lift, 32x11.5 bfg at's. I never got stuck or could push snow and I live in Buffalo,NY. I plow 20 to 25 times a season and made good money. I only switched to a truck because of commercial accounts which I wanted an 8ft plow for time savings. The western plow was all steel and I put tj air bags in the coils to help with the weight. Good luck.

Back