• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blower motor question

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
As I was driving today I noticed some light wisps of smoke coming from the air conditioning/heater control assembly. I had recently replaced it with a new one from the dealership because the fan speed switch had failed.

The question:
Is it possible that a bad blower motor may be causing an increased amp load on the wiring which in turn could cause the switch and connector to overheat? I'm thinking that the blower motor bearings may be bad or the motor itself my be going. The motor runs in all speed settings and doesn't make any unusual noises.

1995 4.0/AX-15/NP 231

Just in my experience, but when my blower motor started going out, it would when first turned on, give a few light chirps, but as time went on it melted the fuse holder in the fuse panel and blew the resistor pack under the passenger dash.

I replaced the motor, repaired the fuse panel and repaired the resistor pack and all is good now.

Good Luck.

BTW, the really only way to check the fan is to pull it and put it on a power source where you can see the amps its pulling. In my case, I had a friend with such a device in his garage.

I've went through 3 fan switches in 4 yrs. I can't find any thing wrong in the wiring or the fan motor. I finally wired up a toggle switch, now I have low & high. JIM.

Thanks for the replies, I've got a "megger" so I can check the motor and if I have to I'll wire in a switch and bypass the stock switch.

Back