• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sorry really stupid ?s

xj151

NAXJA Forum User
new to the cherokee, but were is the iac located at, and were is the egr valve located at also thanks and again sorry for the dumb ?s

The HO motors dont have an EGR. The IAC is located on the throttle body. Puck up a Chiltons manual. They are good for finding the locations of sensors, and such.

xj151 said:
new to the cherokee, but were is the iac located at, and were is the egr valve located at also thanks and again sorry for the dumb ?s

The IAC is located on the side of the throttle body. XJ's after 1990 did not use an EGR valve.

The IAC is on the throttle body proper (I believe on the front of it,) it looks like a small cannister with a two-screw flange. There should be a four-wire connector going into it.

The EGR valve (1987-1990 4.0L, deleted for 1991MY) is on the side of the intake plenum. It looks like a flying saucer on a pedestal. As I recall, it's right where the master cylinder gets in the way when you're needing to replace the damn thing (it can be replaced without disturbing the brakes - I've done it - but do expect some light damage to your knuckles in the process.)

Are you having any specific troubles?

yeah starts slow assuming since it has 200 plus thousand miles no big deal but bought it drove it to anf from for like 3 days then drove it like 130 miles to go camping wheeled it for a day and then while wheeling up small grade it started to run rough put in nuetral reved it up ran fine for like 100 feet did it again put in 4 lo ran fine . got to top of hill put back in 2 hi ran fine for a while whilr wheeling some same thing happened again same results . on way home 130 miles back ran fine until a slight grade on road got to the top ran fine. made it home . went to drive it 2 days later around town ran fine until i came to stop light idle went real low like it was gonna die put in nuetral cleaned out ran fine for like 2-3 minutes same thing slowly got worse and would barely have driving power then clean out run fine. starts fine and when just idiling now for 2 minutes runs fine then same thing pulled fuel filter blew through it seemed fine. so search it and this seems to be next on the list any other ideas thanks sorry for the long ass story

xj151 said:
yeah starts slow assuming since it has 200 plus thousand miles no big deal but bought it drove it to anf from for like 3 days then drove it like 130 miles to go camping wheeled it for a day and then while wheeling up small grade it started to run rough put in nuetral reved it up ran fine for like 100 feet did it again put in 4 lo ran fine . got to top of hill put back in 2 hi ran fine for a while whilr wheeling some same thing happened again same results . on way home 130 miles back ran fine until a slight grade on road got to the top ran fine. made it home . went to drive it 2 days later around town ran fine until i came to stop light idle went real low like it was gonna die put in nuetral cleaned out ran fine for like 2-3 minutes same thing slowly got worse and would barely have driving power then clean out run fine. starts fine and when just idiling now for 2 minutes runs fine then same thing pulled fuel filter blew through it seemed fine. so search it and this seems to be next on the list any other ideas thanks sorry for the long ass story

OK - RENIX normally starts slow, that's just a quirk of the system. Not much you can really do there (replacing mains and cleaning up grounds will help, but you're still going to run headfirst into the way it's been programmed...)

Your rig is old enough that it would probably benefit from taking a torque wrench to the manifold screws - paying particular attention to the ones that clamp down on iron AND aluminum. Torque to 19 pound-feet, and I'm willing to bet you'll find at least a couple of them are loose.

And, take some electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner (for the love of Gawd and all that is Holy, do not use WD-40!) and clean out the connector for the CPS - sounds like it's a bit dirty. It's a three-pole connector with only two wires in it, and you should find it near the rear end of the fuel rail underhood.

cool thanks. also there is a vacume leak to. have know idea were it goes. its located by the power steering pump there like a cluster of vacume lines harnessed in a plastic carrier thing. its the first line if your looking at jeep from the front. ive pluged it with my finger idle drops alittle then pics back up

xj151 said:
cool thanks. also there is a vacume leak to. have know idea were it goes. its located by the power steering pump there like a cluster of vacume lines harnessed in a plastic carrier thing. its the first line if your looking at jeep from the front. ive pluged it with my finger idle drops alittle then pics back up

The entire vacuum line harness can be had from NAPA for a little over $50. I don't recall the part numbers, but I know they've been posted here a couple of times - I did it once, after I bought a couple of sets. Try searching for "RENIX Vacuum" or something similar.

i was very disappointed in the napa lines. Run your own. Use brake line and small pieces of rubber vacuum lines to fit it together. I did the napa replacement and ended up reglueing much of it, struggling with it fitting properly, and ultimately tearing it out AGAIN to replace it on my own.

Samuryan said:
i was very disappointed in the napa lines. Run your own. Use brake line and small pieces of rubber vacuum lines to fit it together. I did the napa replacement and ended up reglueing much of it, struggling with it fitting properly, and ultimately tearing it out AGAIN to replace it on my own.

Maybe you got a goofy set? I had to get two (two rigs,) they dropped right in, and there was only one slip-fit join that I needed to re-glue - for the large breather line.

Back