• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Problems w/ 98 HELP!!!

dishner

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post on here. I have been looking through the forums and have found alot of useful info but I'm now at a stand still.

My 98 decided it didn't want to start anymore yesterday. Turn the key, everything has power, lights, radio,etc; but no start. I can hear something clicking, sounds like it's coming from the glovebox, which I assume is a relay of some sort. I jumped the starter off with a screwdriver and it started fine so I know it's not that. Also replaced the ignition switch, same thing.

Right now I'm leaning toward starter relay, but I actually can't figure out which one is the relay for the starter (I'm guessing it's located in the black bow under the hood on the passenger side) If anyone could help me figure out which one it is I would appreciate it.

The other thing I am very curious about and can't seem to find any info on is the switch in the clutch that allows it to start. Mine is a manual and I know there is a switch in the clutch that won't let you start the jeep without the pedal depressed. I am assuming this switch must be located in the tranny itself since I can't find it in the cab.

Sorry for the book. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Well, based upon information I have found on this site, it is neither the clutch safety interlock, which apparantly is the collar around the clutch pedal shaft. Nor is it the relay as I replaced that. I am officially out of ideas and would really appreciate some assistance. Thanks alot.

Look under the lid of the of the relay box, under the hood. It should have a schematic of which relay does what... mine does.

You can also by pass the clutch interlock just to make absolutely sure that is not the problem. I found a green connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same green connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. To my surprise the factory included this bypass under the dash for you. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself.

Last and not least, remove the starter and have it tested. I've replace 2 starters on my 98, in which both time produced the same symptons you describe...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I did not know about the by pass under the dash. I figured out that it was the green 30 amp fuse for the starter that went bad. I almost missed it. As it turns out the factory manual has a diagram of the fuse and relay layout, go figure!
Thanks again.

My son has a '98 with exact same symptoms as above except automatic. Turn the key and everything has power; fuel pump runs, but no power to crank relay solenoid; fuses fine. Starts fine with starter solenoid jumped; NSS checks out fine. Thanks!

Back