• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

--> Fuel Cell <-- Parts List ??? for those who have one

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.. I'm about to order a fuel cell from Summit.. here's what I'm looking at:

1. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RCI-1160S
RCI 16gal w/ 0-90ohm sending unit

2. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RCI-7416A
RCI Mounting straps

3. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-G3114
Summit Tip-Over Valve

4. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-290230
Summit Cap/Lid

5. E2000 external pump from autozone or Ebay

6. Fuel Filter (between cell and pump)

OK here's my questions.. First is a (2) parter and easy... Does the fuel cell not come w/ a cap? and I'm assuming the tip over valve is for the vent line and I should probably go ahead and order one..

NOW, here's where the main question is that'll save me some time. What fittings should I order to attach to the factory lines? Basically what all do I still need to order. Please I've searched...

Chris

EDIT: Should I go foam or NO FOAM? Pros/Cons please

I have a fuel cell in my Jeep and it is great most of the time... You can use an E2000 Pump from Auto Zone or Ebay, but it is not a self priming pump. I am using a P5000 from NAPA it is about $120, but it is a self prime pump and works great. I do not recommend an RCI tank... I put in an RCI and have been fighting with it ever since. I can only use about 2/3 of the tank. Do it right and spend the money on a Fuel Safe fuel cell. Get it with foam in it too. Con you lose 5% of total fuel storage, Pro no fuel slash. Plus the Fuel Safe cells have everything installed. Also you will be spending a lot of money on AN fittings. My fuel cell costed about $700-$800 to put in. Be prepared for the little things they add up faster then the big stuff... If you would like to PM me with your number or ask for mine I am more then willing to tell you everything I had to go though to put mine in. It is worth the money!!!:rof:

uncc civilengineer said:
6. Fuel Filter (between cell and pump)

OK here's my questions.. First is a (2) parter and easy... Does the fuel cell not come w/ a cap? and I'm assuming the tip over valve is for the vent line and I should probably go ahead and order one..

NOW, here's where the main question is that'll save me some time. What fittings should I order to attach to the factory lines? Basically what all do I still need to order. Please I've searched...

Chris

EDIT: Should I go foam or NO FOAM? Pros/Cons please

My fuel filter is after the pump, just like the stock filter is. However, some people have problems with the foam from the tank plugging up the filter, and so they run a filter before the pump to keep from hurting the pump. Most people have no problems with the foam at all, so maybe it just depends on the tank construction or how clean the tank is initially. I haven't had any problem so far.

The cell comes with a cap, and the tip over valve is on the vent.

I didn't use AN fittings on mine, it's all slip fittings to make it easy. I have AN fittings that attach to the tank outlets....feed line, return line, and vent line....and they have slip fittings on the ends. The slip fittings are for hose used on race cars that don't need any clamps. You slip the hose onto the barbed nipple and it won't come off, no clamps needed. I use this hose on the feed line to the pump, then regular fuel line from the pump to the filter and to the factory hard line. I use regular fuel line on the return and the vent, with those same fittings, and just hose clamp it.

Goatman said:
My fuel filter is after the pump, just like the stock filter is. However, some people have problems with the foam from the tank plugging up the filter, and so they run a filter before the pump to keep from hurting the pump. Most people have no problems with the foam at all, so maybe it just depends on the tank construction or how clean the tank is initially. I haven't had any problem so far.

The cell comes with a cap, and the tip over valve is on the vent.

I didn't use AN fittings on mine, it's all slip fittings to make it easy. I have AN fittings that attach to the tank outlets....feed line, return line, and vent line....and they have slip fittings on the ends. The slip fittings are for hose used on race cars that don't need any clamps. You slip the hose onto the barbed nipple and it won't come off, no clamps needed. I use this hose on the feed line to the pump, then regular fuel line from the pump to the filter and to the factory hard line. I use regular fuel line on the return and the vent, with those same fittings, and just hose clamp it.

Richard Thanks!

Im going to go ahead and do it.. By the time I order a tank skid and get it shipped i'll have around $325.00 in it and adding another 60lbs to my jeep...

I think I should be able to set up a smaller 16gal fuel cell for that or less... and save myself 100lbs or so...

But to sum it up.. you abandoned the AN fittings and just used slip fittings and are running a tank w/ foam...... AND, you did not add another fuel filter, you're just running the factory one in its factory location.

SO TWO last questions for you....
1. Did you go w/ a tank w/ a sump?
2. Your vent line w/ a roll over valve..... does the roll over valve work if say the jeeps laying on its side? AND I read on here something about a "doubleback" vent line ever heard of it?

Thanks again,
Chris

uncc civilengineer said:
Richard Thanks!

Im going to go ahead and do it.. By the time I order a tank skid and get it shipped i'll have around $325.00 in it and adding another 60lbs to my jeep...

I think I should be able to set up a smaller 16gal fuel cell for that or less... and save myself 100lbs or so...

But to sum it up.. you abandoned the AN fittings and just used slip fittings and are running a tank w/ foam...... AND, you did not add another fuel filter, you're just running the factory one in its factory location.

SO TWO last questions for you....
1. Did you go w/ a tank w/ a sump?
2. Your vent line w/ a roll over valve..... does the roll over valve work if say the jeeps laying on its side? AND I read on here something about a "doubleback" vent line ever heard of it?

Thanks again,
Chris

I didn't exactly run the stock filter in the stock location. :D

standard.jpg

Yes, I got a tank with a sump, a drag racing style and I put the sump at the back. It works well, with one exception. If I'm low on fuel and dropping off something steep it can loose fuel and sputter.

I don't know if the rollover valve will work if the rig is on it's side. As you can see in the pic I initially just had the fuel vent filter right next to the tank, but it leaked some, so I used a longer line and moved the filter up and tied it to the tube above it. I wished I had put a loop in the hose to make a doubleback vent line, then I would have the loop and the rollover valve. I didn't think of that initially, then realized what I could have done. I'll probably still do it.

Back