• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk when hitting brakes while backing up

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
When I back up and tap the brakes I get a loud clunking noise. It does not happen when hitting the brakes going forward. If anyone has had a similar experience please post up.

John

I've got bad jonny joints in my control arms.
Mine does the same thing while backinb up. sounds really bad, but it's an easy fix.
What kind of control arms are you running? Bushings? If they're greasable, grease them, but that really wont solve your problem.
Jack up your front end and check the tightness of the joints.

Mine will do this too from time to time.

Lean out your window while backing up, watch your tire and see if it shifts forward when you hit the brakes.

If it does, its Loose bolts or broken mounts on the LCA's. Check those. If its not those, check all the afore mentioned parts.

Ive also had bad shock bushings in the rear do something similar to this.

ujoints are also another culprit from that. if they clunk while moving backward, it's the front I think. clunk going forward then it's the back one (rear driveshaft)

The front tire on the driver side definately "stutters" when the brakes are applied as it stops. I will take a closer look at the control arms and mounts. Uppers are stock, lowers are Terra Flex adjusables. I will post back on results.

Thanks

John

Mine does the exact same thing. All the control arm bushings are brand new and don't seem to move. I can't find the clunk anywhere... let me konw how it turns out!

Back