• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 XJ Strting problems weirdest I have ever heard of

dunk

NAXJA Forum User
I have 92 xj with 4.0 HO. It has 287,000 miles and runs like a top in the summer but in the winter when it gets to 32 deg out it will not hardly start. The weird thing is this. I turn the key on and it cranks and cranks but no start...the fuel pump does nothing but it cranks. So if I leave the key switch on it will eventually chatter and then the fuel pump starts and then I crank it and it starts! The weird thing is that I have changed the fuel pump, filter and fuel pump relay. And it did not help. The other weird thing is that if I take a blow drier and heat the fuse box under the hood before I crank it over it starts with out a miss....any ideas ????thanks

Dunk

check your ballast resistor. front left inner fender well it's ceramic.

I have a similar problem with my in-dash blinkers. when I start it when it's cold, they don't work inside, but do outside. once it's warmed up it works just fine.

I attribute that to poor connections due to a leaky clutch master cylinder (brake fluid is corrosive and the m/c is right above the fusebox).

so if you have a stick shift then you have your culprit...

check your ballast resistor. front left inner fender well it's ceramic.

I have a similar problem with my in-dash blinkers. when I start it when it's cold, they don't work inside, but do outside. once it's warmed up it works just fine.

I attribute that to poor connections due to a leaky clutch master cylinder (brake fluid is corrosive and the m/c is right above the fusebox).

so if you have a stick shift then you have your culprit...

I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main positive wire to the fuse panel was loose enough that when it was cold it was not connecting and when it warmed up the connection was good enough to run... It is fixed and the other weird thing is that it did this for a year before I figured it out.

Dunk

I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main positive wire to the fuse panel was loose enough that when it was cold it was not connecting and when it warmed up the connection was good enough to run... It is fixed and the other weird thing is that it did this for a year before I figured it out.

Dunk

Back