• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crashed XJ options

Dmanti

NAXJA Forum User
So, my '99 XJ Limited (stock, 74k miles, 4.0, AW4, 8.25LSD, up-country, leather, infinity sound) has been T-boned in the rear-passenger door and rear axle, destroying 2 tear-drop aluminum rims, deploying airbags and doing a healthy amount of body damage. Axle could be shot, since it was hit. It will be $1200 for airbags and I won't know about other damage until the 5th or 6th of November. Anyway...

I was wondering what you fellows could offer as options for switching over drive-train. I imagine it's hard to find a cheap XJ that isn't running with a rust-free body. I just need something else to think about, than what this crash will be causing.

Maybe I'll just sell as much of the thing and buy a friggen motorcycle. Any conversation concerning this would be appreciated.

Who was at fault? And if it was the other party, do they have insurance? If so, take the settlement money and buy another vehicle. And if you think it's worth the hassle, buy the wrecked Jeep back and part it out.

there are zillions of XJ's out there and I'm sure there are some rust-free bodies in need of running gear.If you've got another way to get around, take what you get for the Jeep and buy it back for what you can-- then search for one that needs what you've got and has what you need. I've done it a couple times with other cars I've had and both times I came out with a better end-product after the insurance companies paid me to get off my butt and fix 'em!

--Shorty

well, it wasn't what i wanted to go into, but... it's a complex matter about money and liability, which the lawyers will have to argue about for... what i'm guessing will be a long time.

i've got free access to the vehicle. so far, there's no insurance involved except mine. (no insurance at other end.) So, I will try to go about the non-running XJ route. Hell, i guess this will be a good learning experience.

If anything, I'm still proud of my decision to buy an XJ. Plentiful and cheap. Except when you buy a Limited for off-road use... dumbass.

T-boned at the rear passenger door and the airbags went off? Did you hit something else after the initial impact?

As somebody who's Jeep has been nailed in the drivers side quarter pannel twice, with substantial impacts to the axle/wheel in both incidents, it might not be as bad as you think.

I took a Dodge Neon into my front driver's side QP... no airbags deployed.

I would have driven it away if not for a bent tie rod. He on the other hand had to peel his hood off of his windsheild and his radiator out of his dash.

Fixed the tie rod and have put a healthy 15,000 on it since with no problems.

Just trying to provide hope in a seemingly bleak situation.

Just to let you know at any given point a junkyard around my area has airbags for 97+ XJs for $50 a pop. I also wouldn't suggest getting a motorcycle because if you think an XJ got totalled easily, I'm sure you'd be amazed how easily something with two wheels would get demolished.

Update: So, the quick estimate on damage was $2500. It warped the roof-line past the rear-passenger door about 1/2inch. It seems like one of the passenger-side rims are still good, leaving me with 4 good rims, including the full-size spare. People are still confused that the airbags deployed. Oh, the the wreckers that originally towed my vehicle decided to add a new dent to the drivers door, and a good scratch across the bumper. Apparently that's usual for wrecking yards.

Hell, it's now a _real_ offroad vehicle. All those little scratches I had from 4-wheeler trails (literally) are nothing now. Hondas can't handle a Jeep. I'll try and post some pictures, at some point.

Back