• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/T's

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard that these tires are great tires but wear unevenly? anyone else heard this? also what kind of treadlife can i expect out of them and are they good in the snow for highway driving? I live in Canada and the winters here are pretty harsh. someone suggested the A/T's because of their amazing winter drivability but then i hear that they are shit off road? any comments on this?

BFG ATs are one of the most capable ATs around for offroad. I run them myself and haven't had any problem with them. Do a little poking around here and you'll find that a ton of people run and love that tire.

They aren't shit offroad, they are shit in the MUD. It makes sense too because of size of the lugs.

I ran the AT's for about 3 years and really liked them. I don't do much off roading but they were great for the mild stuff I threw at them and really great in the snow. They wore terribly that last year but my steering was totally shot and it had been 3 years. My new tires are 33" MT's. Mostly I just wanted something different. I don't do anymore off roading now so they'll be more than I need for that. I heard they are not so hot in the snow unless they are siped. Mine are and we got a foot of the white stuff last week so I went out to see how they worked and they were great. I'd say they might have been better in the snow than my AT's. Keep in mind...they are siped. Can't help in the wear department as mine are still brand new really.

Siped means that they have slits cut into the blocks all the way around the tire. It supposedly gives better traction in rain and snow but if that were the case dont u think the tire manufacturer would work that into the design?

I have a set of 31x10.50x15 BFT MT's and i love them. They are AWESOME off road. they grip on rocks, mud, dirt. I have had mine for about a year a half and my budd has also had his for a little less than that and i get my rotated every 2200-2500 miles and he doesnt. And when you look at his and mine you can tell a HUGE difference. I love them, great tire. Suck in the rain and ice. There ok in the snow. would def buy them again. Siped tires is where they cut slits in the tread for better traction. siping a tire actually help the tires form around the object its going over. not good for street wear though.

Keep them balanced and rotated and they wear just fine. I usually get around 45-50K out of them and balance/rotate them about every other oil change. Great tire...M/T's of course....Can't stand the A/T's.

great thread topic, now I don't feel too bad about a partial hi-jack, after I toss in my experience of course.

I had 31x10.5 AT's for a year, and ya they were great on road, and never gave me trouble off road either. thats not to say they were great, and certainly wouldn't compare to MT's in the mud, but I went everywhere my buddy with 35" MT's went, just had to pick an easier line. He was rather impressed with them too.

Now here I am ready to replace my Dayton's, and I am torn between AT's and MT's for my next rubber. I am in Canada too, you may get a little more white stuff in your area, but we get our fair share here too.

I am specifically looking at 33x10.5 for this set, thats why I am leaning towards the AT's, they'll make a great on road tire, in the snow and such. Than grab a set of offroad tires in the spring if these don't perform as fantastic as I would like.
I am going to use Tirerack.com and ship to a shop on the border near my old mans place, total cost is gonna save quite a bit over what I can get locally, even with my discount.

ManBearPig said:
Siped means that they have slits cut into the blocks all the way around the tire. It supposedly gives better traction in rain and snow but if that were the case dont u think the tire manufacturer would work that into the design?

Snow tire manufacturers DO work it into the design. Just about every snow tire I've ever seen has been siped from the factory. There are disadvantages to siping too, such as increased friction and heat, and the potential for "chunking," which may be why most tires are not siped from the factory.

Still, every set of tires I buy gets siped.

http://treadwright.com/

I've had good luck with these tires. They are retreads and 15" sizes are getting harder to find. You can get them with a "Green Diamond" additive that is basically a bunch of carbide chips cast throughout the tread compound. They perform better than studs, which would offset the crappy ice traction that mud treads typically exhibit. Also, these tires are CHEAP!

Jared:patriot:

First...I'm not a tire expert but I would think that manufacturers would opt to not sipe simply because not every consumer requires it. I had never heard of ,nor did I need it, in Missouri but up in the mountains...it's nice. Definitely some down sides to it.

Second...I have never heard of someone siping a tire for better off road use. At 8 psi, I'm not sure it would matter. In fact, I might be more worried about the tire chunking if it were siped and run at 8 psi over larger rocks. At 32 psi, the advantage of the larger MT lug being able to grip more pavement has been pretty obvious to me.

Again...there's obviously people that are more educated with regard to tires so I may be talking out my arse.

53guy said:
Keep them balanced and rotated and they wear just fine. I usually get around 45-50K out of them and balance/rotate them about every other oil change. Great tire...M/T's of course....Can't stand the A/T's.

Same mileage here with my M/T's... As mentioned, keep 'em balance and rotate them every oil change. They seem to wear longer as the mileage on them increases. Perhaps the rubber hardens some as they wear... Anyway, I'm happy with them and I'm on my second set now...

I have had M/T's on my CJ for over 5 years now. Love the traction. They still got prolly 80 to 90 percent tread left. Now I only put, maybe 1000 miles on it a year, so take that into consideration. But they are loud on the highway, so if it's a d/d take that into consideration.

I live in snow country and prefer AT's for winter. MT's aren't as capable in snow and ice, plus they are a bit more slippery on rain soaked roads. I have been to Moab Utah twice, once on MT's and once on AT's, no difference. AT's suck in deep mud, but are great in sand and dirt. AT's are quiet on the highway, MT's are loud and get louder as they age.

Last edited:
If the tires are wearing unevenly I would guess that who ever passed that info down and balance or some other suspension type problems. I have AT’s on my truck and they do great for what I ask them to do. They get me down the road and they do great on lighter 4x4 trails. I have never run BFG MT’s, but I do have to say I have been tempted to by them once or twice for the Jeep.

Okay, I'll put in my 2 cents BFG muds aren't bad for mud and snow I've run those as well as several other brands. If you like to play in the rocks though, I'd look at other tires as I found BFGs to have weak sidewalls (Tri-gard......big whoop!) and have destroyed several (MTs and ATs alike). My favorite all time tire for offroad as well as street would have to be the Interco TrXus MTs.....agressive tread that bites really well on rocks (tough sidewalls), large voids that self clean easily in mud and plenty of siping for wet pavement as well as snow and ice. The bonus is that they wear really well (if you rotate them when you're supposed to) and are very quiet on the highway and........they're less expensive than the BFGs! The Kuhmos on my daily driver/work truck/weekend camping/rock crawling Toyota p/u are the cheapest tires that I've ever owned (I paid $130 ea. for 35s) and turned out to be great tires......almost 60,000 miles so far and I still have about 75% tread left (honestly!)---------Hans

There is a reason why the BFG All Terrain has a snowflake symbol on the side and the BFG Mud terrain does not have one. BFG All terrains do awesome in the ice and snow, I would much rather purchase a mud tire for the street just for the looks but I know from experience BFG All Terrain's do much better. I have wheeled BFG M/T's and A/T's, both are great tires and I have a set of M/T's on one Jeep and A/T's on another right now. The only problem with A/T's is they don't do near as good in the mud, they work great for everything else.

Here is a quote I found.

Winter tire symbol
Identifying purpose-built winter tires is easy, thanks to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) mandate that requires a unique "mountain/snowflake" symbol on the sidewall. While the standard "M+S" (mud and snow) symbol simply indicated that the tire tread featured cross slots and cross pockets, this was not a performance criterion. The new "mountain/snowflake" symbol indicates that the tire has met specific performance criteria for snow and ice traction. If you see the mountain/snowflake symbol, you know that the tire meets specific winter performance criteria.

Wow, i'd be very interested in seeing what people have to say about that Kumho Road Venture MT.....

Back